String Quartet opus 132

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claire W:
    Hmmmm? Whats wrong with it. Remember I LOVE Barry , Dr Cooper to the rest of you.
    Well, at the risk of falling out with a 2nd or 3rd Claire (I lose count) in as many days, your Barry's 10th Symphony movement, depite being well researched & painstakingly realised, was perhaps ill-advised. I'd have preferred him to leave well alone; if Beethoven couldn't finish it, then no one else should try. The piece meanders too much between the original sketches. Maybe Dr. Cooper showed too much respect for the sketches(!), for his linking sections are very bland by comparison. And I have heard his lecture on this subject.
    Mr. Cooper may be on your Valentine's card list, but he is certainly not on mine!
    ------------------
    PDG (Peter)

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 04-21-2001).]

Comment

Hmmmm? Whats wrong with it. Remember I LOVE Barry , Dr Cooper to the rest of you.

Well it's NOT Beethoven however cleverly put together. I doubt Beethoven's 10th would have had much in common with Dr.Cooper's realisation. So it does beg the question why bother? What real purpose do these completions serve, particularly in the case of Beethoven whose original ideas are known to bear little resemblance to the final work?
      Please don't take offence Claire, as I'm not belittling the skill of Dr.Cooper, I simply do not accept his realisation as Beethoven's 10th.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

No offence taken. I must agree, although I love Barry dearly. No matter how well put together it is it still isnt Beethoven really is it?

Claire
        XXXXX

Ps I assure you, there is only on Claire like me!

I really must try and not send this kind twice. So much uni work- kinda mushes the brain!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          ...Was he trying to poach you for moderator?
          On the contrary, it was myself who initiated the initial contact via his site, and Mr Suchet had the good grace to reply. He is not after my services, but frankly I've lost interest in the moderator game - the 'market' isn't ready for me yet.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-23-2001).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Don't knock the Lindsay quartet. They're the professional quartet in residence in my dept. here in good old Manc!! Any slur on them I would take personally!
            Sorry, but I've spent alot of money buying these guys' cds based on their PR and reviews but I don't rate them with Beethoven at least. On occasion they can really be spot on, but too often their playing is well below par (messy is a word that comes to mind) compared to some other ensembles.

Did you know, the country's leading Beethoven expert is my lecturer; the one and only Barry Cooper! So there you go. (not to do any more name dropping)
            The 'recreation' of the 10th aside, I would say Cooper is in general a reasoned voice in his Beethoven writings, a rare thing in Beethovenian literature!

Whilst on the subject of Beethoven writers may I say something regarding Schindler's occasional deliberate 'rewriting of history' in his B biography - from my recent reading it appears that, far from S being some kind of evil maveric, this was in fact the average standard of biographical writing in those days, at least with regard to composers! More learned scholars than S were at least as capable of twisting the truth to fit their own subjective preferences as S, so one could say their 'crime' was the greater. One must put S's behaviour into perspective, truely objective biography writing didn't exist in those days. One could say even writers today are all too quick to jump to the wrong conclusions to suit their own agenda.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-23-2001).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X