X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wich of the Beethoven's work is most intimate

?
    In my opinion "Eroica" Symphony
    And whem one work of the art is intimate it is personal for all of the people in this planet.

Symphonically, I'd say the Pastoral, since nature was so very important to him. Listen again to the Andante!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Symphonically, I'd say the Pastoral, since nature was so very important to him. Listen again to the Andante!

Symphonic & intimate: First movement of the 9th: The struggle with Karl. The contest between the immovable object & the unstoppable force. Nobody ever said family life was nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:

Symphonic & intimate: First movement of the 9th: The struggle with Karl. The contest between the immovable object & the unstoppable force. Nobody ever said family life was nice!

I can't agree about the 9th being intimate for the composer, tremendous though it is. He did, after all, only complete the work after a remunerate incentive! Are you saying that Karl was an immovable object?

Comment

Fur Alise is the most beautiful and means the most to me, the first time i heard it, the Coda part was so unexpected and dramatic and sad, but it picks up at the end. I love it, the perfect love song. Its the best pop song under 3 mintues---> ever! Aslo, the 9th syphony, with the choir in the beginning. Thats my torch song right there.

Comment

You can't get mote intimate than the late string quartets and sonatas. Perhaps the Cavatina from Op.130 or the opening movement of Op.101.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              You can't get mote intimate than the late string quartets and sonatas. Perhaps the Cavatina from Op.130 or the opening movement of Op.101.

I agree, although for me Beethoven at his most intimate is the slow movement of op.135.

Comment

I'd have to agree about the late string quartets also but what moves me is the 2nd movement of the Pathetique. I went to a live concert of this last week and the pianist played it so beautifully - had me moved.

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I can't agree about the 9th being intimate for the composer, tremendous though it is. He did, after all, only complete the work after a remunerate incentive! Are you saying that Karl was an immovable object?

Indeed, I am. Karl seems to have been the only person to have stood up to the man, albeit that he didn't have much choice. I think of the second movement as Ludwig & Karl out together in public, trying to make nice. The third is an attempted reconciliation between the two. The opening bars of the 4th show that they didn't quite. Beethoven then pondered a very long time how to musically resolve what had gone before, and in my opinion, gave up & wrote the choral finale more or less straight off the top of his head. (Compare to the Missa, compare to the Choral Fantasy, also compare to the finale of the 15th string quartet.)

I agree with Peter: There is nothing so wonderfully intimate as the last sonatas & quartets.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:

Indeed, I am. Karl seems to have been the only person to have stood up to the man, albeit that he didn't have much choice.
                    As you say Karl had little choice in things - the one person who really stood up to Beethoven was Karl's mother Johanna who endured 4 years of legal battles fighting to keep her son.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

this is off topic, sorry. Beethoven is Karl's boyfriend? not that i care if he was or wasn't but i never heard he was a gay man.

Comment

Originally posted by Classy_The_Virgin:
                        this is off topic, sorry. Beethoven is Karl's boyfriend? not that i care if he was or wasn't but i never heard he was a gay man.
                        No, Karl was his nephew. There is no evidence to suggest Beethoven was gay - if he were (as you say) so what, but he simply was not!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Next you'll be saying he didn't really have a wooden leg!

Comment

Next you'll be saying he didn't really have a wooden leg!

But that's where he kept his hearing aid!

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 11-06-2005).]

Comment

Okay, thanks. I asked b/c i was reading what you (pEter) and Droell and PDg said about B writing the sympony in strugle with Karl and them arguing in public and getting back together. its clear now. but its incredible to know that he could write this music with all those family problems going on!!! like the thread orginally asked: he could take private issues and translate them into music notes and somehow they resinate (spelling?) with the human race.

man, even genuses have family problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X