No announcement yet.

New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tara, This is undoubtedly the best way to meet ppl in a site, ask for recommendations, and then watch them roll in.

If things keep going though, this thread is about to take a little detour.........hey, we've been down this cul de sac before

Two words: Hero and Emperor.

From the land of
    Mt. St. Helens~

Comment

Originally posted by amadeus:

What Peter suggested are all "must Listen to" pieces, he just left out a boat load of others.

With good reason! - Tara is new to Beethoven's music and therefore just a few representative and accessable works are needed. I don't think for example that the late string quartets, the Missa Solemnis or the Diabelli variations (as some have recommended) are the best introduction to Beethoven.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tara:
        ...I heard "Ode to Joy" in the movie Immortal Beloved and enjoyed it. Very uplifting. I am more interested in HIM at this point...

Hi Tara!
        Actually, he's much more interesting than he appeared to be in the movie.
        As for his music,unlike many who occupy this forum, I am a relatively recent 'convert.' This means, like you, I still have many things to discover. I like to become familiar with only a few pieces at a time. I find I usually have to listen to a piece several times before I start to 'hear' it. Beethoven requires concentration, but he's well worth any effort!
        I may as well put my 2c in and offer my recommendations:
        You liked the "Ode to Joy"? Have you heard the rest of The Ninth Symphony? (My fav)
        Try other symphonies - 5, 6, 7 (like Joy, I'm stuck on #4 right now)
        Emperor Concerto
        Moonlight and Pathetique Sonatas.
        Don't listen to everything right away. Savour each piece a little before going on to the next one. And before you know it, you'll be addicted like the rest of us.
        (Gary Oldman did do a great job...Too bad he didn't have a decent script.)

Mary

Comment

Working...
        X