No announcement yet.

Anecdotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always loved the story of B being arrested as a tramp and ranting at the police for not believing who he was ! Definitely an incident to include in our film Euphony ! There are so many comic as well as tragic incidents in B's life, and I think all too often people concentrate on the latter.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Well you have the advantage of having read it, which I confess to not doing - there is I know an edited version , which presumably you would agree would be the wisest to go for. The more experienced in life one becomes, the more one is hopefully capable of seeing the whole picture - it's very easy to regard Karl as a reckless youth who caused nothing but trouble for B, and I believe this is the way Schindler sees it. Another example is Schindler's attitude to Holz, a young man who S claims led B astray - might the truth be that B had fallen out with S and found the company of Holz to be congenial and a relief from the strains of life ? I remember from a previous post you were particularly impressed by Schindler's musical insights - perhaps that is where his strengths lie, rather than in biography.
      The 1860 version is the available one today, which is edited. But only half of the book is biography the rest is full of interesting observations in the Appendices. They are obviously subjective but extremely interesting from a histrical context. For example he goes into depth discussing Webers anonymous attempts at destroying Beethoven in the music press, and also Clara Schuman's performances of Beethoven etc. Realy interesting struff you will get nowhere else. I always recommend this book.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        The 1860 version is the available one today, which is edited. But only half of the book is biography the rest is full of interesting observations in the Appendices. They are obviously subjective but extremely interesting from a histrical context.

Thanks - I shall seek it out !

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          So the two greatest Belgian exports could be Van Damme (Jean-Claude) and Van Beethoven?

Michael

Well, I MIGHT put Van Dyck ahead of Van Damme (not to mention PP Rubens..)

Comment

Originally posted by MCS:
            Well, I MIGHT put Van Dyck ahead of Van Damme (not to mention PP Rubens..)
            Rubens is good but he`ll never beat Schumacher.

------------------
            Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              Rubens is good but he`ll never beat Schumacher.

Schumacher?...Is he before or after Pieter Bruegel?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I thought he was Spanish.

Actually, the idea that B. may have had some Spanish blood in him isn't all that far-fetched. Flanders used to be known as 'The Spanish Netherlands'. The area was 'inherited' by the Spanish throne in the 16th century and so there were plenty of Spaniards in that neck of the woods.

Comment

Told you - he was Spanish. I know my stuff.

------------------
                  Peter (PDG)

Comment

The 1860 version is the available one today, which is edited.

Who's the publisher ? Is it readily available as I'm having problems tracking it down!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                      [B] Who's the publisher ? Is it readily available as I'm having problems tracking it down!

Dover Publications, INC., Mineola, New York.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                        [b]
                        Who's the publisher ? Is it readily available as I'm having problems tracking it down!

Dover Publications, INC., Mineola, New York.
                        Cheers Suz!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Getting back to the original idea of this thread...My favorite anecdote about Beethoven I read in a book called "Bach, Beethoven and the Boys - Musical History as it Ought to be Taught". In it, the author (I forget his name) tells of the time the violinist Schuppanzigh complained to the Master about a particularly difficult passage in a quartet. Beethoven retorted, "I can't think about your miserable violin while I'm speaking to my God!"
                          Well put.

Comment

Cheers Suz!

Hey! I've already given you the publisher AND the ISBN no. in another chain, but I didn't get no 'cheers Rod!'. Women get all the luck.

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Hey! I've already given you the publisher AND the ISBN no. in another chain, but I didn't get no 'cheers Rod!'. Women get all the luck.

Well mega thanks then! - I shall be visiting my local Borders store on Wednesday.

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X