No announcement yet.

Gustav Mahler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounded good, DP, thanks! While I've heard some of the symphonies (saw No. 2 live some years ago) I am really not very familiar with them at all. I happened upon the Levine set at a good price, so I thought that would be a good excuse to get more involved in the symphonies. In the meantime, I've been an avid Bruckner fan and have several different symphonic cycles of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Thanks! I happened across the Levine set that Harvey mentioned but haven't had the opportunity to listen to them yet. I haven't listened much to Mahler, but thought that might be a good excuse to start.
      That seems a fine start. You'll just have to fill in the gaps with the two missing symphonies and Das Lied von der Erde, which was originally a symphony so I understand. I also bought a performing edition of symphony 10 which was incomplete when Mahler died. I got the Rattle 10th. I just ordered Muti's 1st because my first Mahler experience was last fall when Muti conducted the 1st live. Just last month I decided to check out Mahler and I am totally blown away at how wonderful Mahler's music is as I began exploring it with my new cycle--Bernsteins 1960s recordings.

I also bought a live recording of Mahler's 8th from the 1995 Colorado Mahlerfest. It is very good!

May I suggest you take it slowly. Listen to a symphony, digest it a bit with a few more listens, before moving to the next. I started July 13th and still have not heard #6, #9 and #10. It is worth taking it slowly.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
      X