Violin Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:

I wonder if anyone has heard the arrangement of the Violin Concerto for Clarinet ? I can imagine the slow movement would work, but what about the other movements ? Whilst on the subject of this most sublime of concertos, I'd be interested to hear your favourite recordings.
    Peter, I`ve not heard the clarinet version. Surely, the concept is too grand for a woodwind instrument? Who wrote the cadenzas? Is it still in D?

I recommend the Naxos/Jando recording of the piano version (op.61a). It is coupled with a fine recording of the Triple Concerto, the disc running for 80 minutes.

------------------
    Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Peter, I`ve not heard the clarinet version. Surely, the concept is too grand for a woodwind instrument? Who wrote the cadenzas? Is it still in D?

I presume the key is the same. For a recording of the Violin concerto which includes B's Cadenzas for the piano version (arr.Violin) I recommend Chamber Orchestra of Europe - Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Gidon Kremer -Teldec 9031-74881-2

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I recommend the Naxos/Jando recording of the piano version (op.61a). It is coupled with a fine recording of the Triple Concerto, the disc running for 80 minutes.

I second that recommendation! The sound of this recording is so sharp and intimate! Good stuff indeed!
        Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
        You'll thank me later...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          I presume the key is the same. For a recording of the Violin concerto which includes B's Cadenzas for the piano version (arr.Violin) I recommend Chamber Orchestra of Europe - Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Gidon Kremer -Teldec 9031-74881-2
          Thanks, I shall purchase forthwith. Can`t imagine the cadenzas being as effective as Kreisler`s, though.

------------------
          Peter (PDG)

Comment

Thanks, I shall purchase forthwith. Can`t imagine the cadenzas being as effective as Kreisler`s, though.
            Check out Bruggen's effort on Phillips with period instruments, you'll have heard nothing like it. The first movement is circa 21 mins with the long violin and drum cadenza! Though I would not regard the violinist's technique as 'authentic', quite modern infact. But for once it sounds like were listening to a real Beethoven concerto!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X