The Encounter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Leslie:
    Luis, As usual, I apologize for becoming a persistant irritant. As much as I want this encounter to be substantiated, you are correct in saying that there is not much tangible to go on. would like to see someone to post LvB's comments on Mozart's piano technique.~
    Dear Leslie, as usual you are wrong in apologizing to me for I’m thinking is it me who always sound aggressive. Too often I get that feeling after reading things I wrote here and everywhere, so I sincerely apologize to you and to everyone here. I guess I’m a bit stubborn discussing and that gets more complicated with 1) my coarse English, 2) the fact that I’m not quite sensitive on others opinions about myself; a condition somehow I unconsciously extend to everybody I am with, sometimes with unfortunate consequences... I’ll try to improve on both, I promise.
    Many thanks to you Les for taking the time to search and wrote down all the info. I’m not convinced, but I’ve learned a few things and that’s nice too. If you have missed it, the address of the forum where Agnes goes is http://mozart.composers.net/index.html and she was into the problem because I went to that forum trying to find something from Mozart’s side.

Luis.
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Comment

I think the supposed encounter between the 2 great men would have taken place in what is now known as the 'Figaro' house in Vienna , which still stands today. I feel pretty sure that they did meet, but I doubt any lessons actually took place - surely Beethoven would have made some reference to this at a later date?

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 02-01-2001).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

On the Mozart site I’ve found two interesting things:

1) That supposedly on a conversational book B once described Mozart's physical appearance. Has anyone heard about this?

2) That there is a possibility that Constanze would have met B on an unconfirmed concert of K. 466 on March 31, 1795.

To Leslie
        About your request, I had suspected from the first time that you were discussing not with David but with Tim; now I have no doubts about that but I’m working on the topic right now. Not to give him a lesson (because that would be a total waste of my time) but to open a debate on a subject I’m most interested.

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 01-29-2001).]
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
        You'll thank me later...

Comment

In the book I'm currently raedin "The Life of Beethoven" its sais that his public debut(since he began his career) was March 29, 1795. In which he did three consecutive concerts on three consecutive days. The last one on March 31. passage from book:

On a third consecutive evening , 31 March, the Burgtheater was the venue for a benefit concert organized by Constanze Mozart to raise money for herself and her children, and to promote the music of her late husband. Mozart's la Clemenza di tito was performed and Beethoven played a concerto by Mozart.

I dont see how knowing this would tell us if the two had ever met or not. All this proves is that Beethoven met Costanze.

Think she knew that this young man was going to take over the legendary status that her husband left behind?

dont think soooooooo...

Comment

According to Ferdinand Ries, the two certainly met and Beethoven had some instruction from Mozart - B apparently complained that Mozart never played to him.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by amadeus:
              In the book I'm currently raedin "The Life of Beethoven" its sais that his public debut(since he began his career) was March 29, 1795. In which he did three consecutive concerts on three consecutive days. The last one on March 31. passage from book:
              On a third consecutive evening , 31 March, the Burgtheater was the venue for a benefit concert organized by Constanze Mozart to raise money for herself and her children, and to promote the music of her late husband. Mozart's la Clemenza di tito was performed and Beethoven played a concerto by Mozart.
              I dont see how knowing this would tell us if the two had ever met or not. All this proves is that Beethoven met Costanze.
              Think she knew that this young man was going to take over the legendary status that her husband left behind?
              dont think soooooooo...
              I don`t quite see how this necessarily proves that Beethoven met Constanze; did she personally request his participation at the concert? How successful was it? During his lifetime, Mozart was far more popular in Prague than in Vienna (Prague was the only city to honour his passing with a requiem mass). Did Mozart`s popularity increase immediately following his death? A case of the viennese appreciating what they had, only after it was gone (a typical human trait)?

------------------
              Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                Did Mozart`s popularity increase immediately following his death? A case of the viennese appreciating what they had, only after it was gone (a typical human trait)?

Indeed it did - 'The Magic Flute ' was a huge success. Constanze went on to earn quite a considerable amount from Mozart's works after his death - she became an astute business woman under the guidance of her 2nd husband, Nissen.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

As far as remember, whether if B met Constanze or not in this concert it's not certain. But one could presume that if C organized the event and B was a well-known composer and virtuoso by this time, as well as a confessed Mozart admirer, they both would probably wanted at least to have a courtesy salutation and conversation before or after the concert. Which is anyway nothing but an anecdote.

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 02-22-2001).]
                  You'll thank me later...

Comment

Working...
                  X