No announcement yet.

Immortal Beloved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean exactly how accurate is this movie?

I have a nice article from "American Scholar" about the movie "Amadeus".E-mail me if you're interested.

S

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheetoprincess:
      [B]I thought "Immortal Beloved" to be a quite accurate portrayal of Beethoven's life.

Oh, brother.

Comment

Thank you Serge. I quite agree not only with the regrettable and even unimaginative siter-in-law solution to the immortal beloved mystery. It did provide a finale, and was supported by his seemingly disproportinate custody pursuit of his nephew. But since the Immortal Beloved was the movies' title. I think it should have been left a mystery. After all it is the uncertainty and mystery that makes this relationship so fascinating.

My indignation during the opening scenes of the movie gradually warmed as the character of Beethoven was revealed. The dramtaic conclusion when after the performace of the 9th symphyony, Beethoven was directed to face the crowd which stood in ovation as one, had me applauding as well. My criticisms are quite subsidiary to the thrill of having a glimpse of that moment.

The Immortal Beloved the movie did serve to enhance my appreciation for the romance and passion which hitherto had existed only as a sidebar to Beethovens' biography.

Hearing Beethoven referred to as "Luie" was endearing as well

WestVaMtneer

Comment

I appreciate your comments, WVM and Bernadette. I.M. was a beautiful film and anyone who's about to nitpick over the details of the characterization of Schindler or the resolution of the addressee should not be allowed near another historical picture! Who could ever expect 100% accuracy, esp. when the most glaring "problems" derive from events that will never get resolved anyway?

The idea of creating a miniseries of Ludwig's life is intriguing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
            I appreciate your comments, WVM and Bernadette. I.M. was a beautiful film and anyone who's about to nitpick over the details of the characterization of Schindler or the resolution of the addressee should not be allowed near another historical picture! Who could ever expect 100% accuracy, esp. when the most glaring "problems" derive from events that will never get resolved anyway?

The idea of creating a miniseries of Ludwig's life is intriguing, though.
            I can cope with a few historical inaccuracies Serge - but implying that Beethoven had an affair with his Sister-in-law , a woman who in reality he loathed is just plain unacceptable rubbish, and an insult that would make Beethoven turn in his grave, not to say 'box the ears' of the film's director.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi,Just wanted to add my 2-cents worth! I took my husband & mother to the movie,hungry for a "great movie showing the genius and torture" of Beethoven's life! When I left, I felt like a person who sat down to an expected banquet and was left HUNGRY!
              It had so many mistakes,so many chances at greatness BUT missed them all! I am still "hot" about the mistakes and that period they showed as him not writing ANYTHING was NOT DRY! They left out so much if OMISSION is a crime---they are guilty.
              "on this I am unanimous"!!
              They had a chance to open the mind of some people to classical music and missed some of the most beautiful!
              Martha

Comment

Originally posted by Martha:
                I am still "hot" about the mistakes and that period they showed as him not writing ANYTHING was NOT DRY! They left out so much if OMISSION is a crime---they are guilty.
                "on this I am unanimous"!!
                They had a chance to open the mind of some people to classical music and missed some of the most beautiful!
                My sentiments exactly Martha.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

My sentiments too. Here was a movie, (IB), that had such a great chance on telling the actual life of Beethoven but failed to do so. The costumes were good, the location, the acting, (Gary Oldmen did do a fine job). Too bad Hollywood always thinks they have to fudge on the real events as if real life isn't interesting enough. Is there any video tapes or movies out there that is more a documentary of this man's life? We do need a mini-series or a special, at least, to really detail the life of this composer. I, for one, think his "real life" is very interesting.
                  Joy
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                  X