No announcement yet.

Which work `did it` for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first recollection of Beethoven is the Pastoral Symphony movement in Disney's 'Fantasia' which I heard when, as a birthday present, I was taken to see the movie on 15 January 1943.

My Beethoven catalyst work was the Violin Concerto. When I was coming out of my "popular classics' Warsaw Concerto - Coronation Scot - phase, my ears were not attuned to Beethoven.

I was told that Beethoven's Violin Concerto was the best of all violin concertos so I made up my mind to get stuck into it and I played it repeatedly. A bit here sounded ok and a bit there, too. Gradually the bits joined up until it became one long glorious song.

The first non-universally famous work to `grab` me was 6 Variations on 'Nel cor piu non mi sento' from Paisiello's 'La molinara', for piano in G major, WoO 70.

The background story to its composition is delightful (I can't recall the source I read umpteen years ago so I may not have it exact). Beethoven went to the opera 'La molinara' and while there a lady told him that she had lost a piano setting of the opera's best aria 'Nel cor piu non mi sento'. That very night, Beethoven wrote his 6 variations on the aria and presented it to the lady the next morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0699bczcS0

Comment

My first recollection of Beethoven is the Pastoral Symphony movement in Disney's 'Fantasia' which I heard when, as a birthday present, I was taken to see the movie on 15 January 1943.
      You know i have had a feeling for awhile now that I heard his Pastorale as a child, but noone in my family listened to classical..maybe it was this Disney I saw on TV...and that's whre the vague memory of hearing it in childhood comes from.

My Beethoven catalyst work was the Violin Concerto. When I was coming out of my "popular classics' Warsaw Concerto - Coronation Scot - phase, my ears were not attuned to Beethoven.

I was told that Beethoven's Violin Concerto was the best of all violin concertos so I made up my mind to get stuck into it and I played it repeatedly. A bit here sounded ok and a bit there, too. Gradually the bits joined up until it became one long glorious song.
      I was listening to this yesterday..it's divine!

The first non-universally famous work to `grab` me was 6 Variations on 'Nel cor piu non mi sento' from Paisiello's 'La molinara', for piano in G major, WoO 70.

The background story to its composition is delightful (I can't recall the source I read umpteen years ago so I may not have it exact). Beethoven went to the opera 'La molinara' and while there a lady told him that she had lost a piano setting of the opera's best aria 'Nel cor piu non mi sento'. That very night, Beethoven wrote his 6 variations on the aria and presented it to the lady the next morning.
      Awww how sweet of him!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

To me it was, has been, is and always will be the 5th. I think that the transition between movement 3 & 4, while just a repetition for 15 bars or so, then exploding into this majestic theme of the last movement, it is so quintessential Beethoven, I never can just hear it and not stop what I am doing. And believe me, I've heard it many, many times and have many versions of it.

Once I got to know his music better, I think it was the Piano Sonatas that did it for me, as well. I may have some preferred one's (the Arietta of his last Sonata has recently struck a chord even more than it already had), but there are very few of those that do not meet the sublime standard this man has set for himself. Moreover, I believe that in the Sonatas, one can hear best how he evolved from his early days to the 'last period'.

Comment

Yes the sonatas are like a journey in a way. I just love them all; they all have something special.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            To make it more interesting, how about nominating the 1st non-universally famous work to `grab` you? For me, it was an old, dusty, neglected LP of the Original Piano Variations, op.34. I found this piece to be so marvellously novel, with its shift of key for each successive variation, and so brilliantly tuneful, that even now I prefer it to the Diabelli set.
            If I may quote myself from precisely 4,778 days ago -

There were other great works on that neglected LP. The unused allegretto of the C minor Op.10 sonata, the 6 Ecossaises WoO.83, the two Rondos, Op.51, the original theme and 32 variations in C minor. All underrated gems...

Comment

If I may quote myself from precisely 4,778 days ago -

Good Heavens, PDG! I thought you had gone the way of John Cleese's parrot!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                But it's not dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  But it's not dead!
                  I know a dead parrot when I see one!

Comment

I know a dead parrot when I see one!
                    It's just sleeping.

Comment

Or pining for the fjords.

Comment

You should know me by now, Michael - I tend to hibernate for about 11 months a year...

I hope all is well with you.

Comment

You should know me by now, Michael - I tend to hibernate for about 11 months a year...

I hope all is well with you.
                          Likewise.

Comment

Working...
                          X