Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by amadeus:
    Originally posted by Michael:

I hated the "Pathetique Sonata" when I heard it first and it took a couple of years for me to enjoy it.

HATED??????? I didn't know that was possible. Who could hate that piece of music?
    I know! I don't hate it now, of course but I couldn't latch on to it or the "Moonlight" when I first heard them. I can't explain it.

Michael

Comment

I remember the first cassette I ever bought was the Piano Concerto #5 when I was about 8. Definately a winner.
      As for 'non commercial' composition, Wellingtons Victory Op. 91. For my money, far better than Tchaikovsky's 1812.

Comment

Originally posted by Mako:

As for 'non commercial' composition, Wellingtons Victory Op. 91. For my money, far better than Tchaikovsky's 1812.
        I've never read a truer word! Compare Beethovens treatment of the national songs with T's similar effort in the 1812! But I thought Op91 was a prime example of a 'commercial composition'? Or do you mean less well known?

Rod

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

But of course I meantless well known. Anyone seen a CD release of it? The only version I have seen and have is that by Karajan & the Berlin Phil. and it's on cassette. Interesting they have the Beethoven on side A and the Tchaikovsky on side B.

Comment

But of course I meantless well known. Anyone seen a CD release of it? The only version I have seen and have is that by Karajan & the Berlin Phil. and it's on cassette. Interesting they have the Beethoven on side A and the Tchaikovsky on side B.
            There are a few available. I have a recording By Marriner/Academy St Martin in the Feilds, coupled with the 7th Symphony. In this recording the Battle includes extra sound effects of horses and men shouting during the charge (all would be valid in a live performance, should we ever receive one), very good. The Victory Symphony is a little laboured but just about ok. The 7th is pretty awful. The best version of op91is the old classic on (I believe) Mercury records, with the 1812, its still available.

Rod

------------------

Comment

Mako,

Your cassette recording is on CD:
              DG 447 912-2. The CD also features the incidental music to Egmont op.84, as well as various other Beethoven military pieces. And no Tchaikovsky!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                [B] There are a few available. I have a recording By Marriner/Academy St Martin in the Feilds, coupled with the 7th Symphony. In this recording the Battle includes extra sound effects of horses and men shouting during the charge (all would be valid in a live performance, should we ever receive one), very good. >>>

Rod,

I`m almost sure that horses cannot shout Perhaps our resident equine expert, Leslie, could confirm? Am I not the great harmonizer of forum temper?!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by PDG:
                  [b]
                  Originally posted by Rod:
                  There are a few available. I have a recording By Marriner/Academy St Martin in the Feilds, coupled with the 7th Symphony. In this recording the Battle includes extra sound effects of horses and men shouting during the charge (all would be valid in a live performance, should we ever receive one), very good. >>>

Rod,

I`m almost sure that horses cannot shout Perhaps our resident equine expert, Leslie, could confirm? Am I not the great harmonizer of forum temper?!
                  No your not, I though it was obvious that the shouting was to apply only to the men. I know horses don't shout, I rang my horse-loving cousin to make sure before I wrote the above post. I always check my facts, whereas I bet Leslie is only a pretend dressage person to make her look posh (because no North American can ever truely be upper class) and doesn't really know what noise a horse makes.

Rod

------------------

Comment

Thanks guys,

I shall be looking for it asap. The cassette is just about worn out.

Comment

There is an hypnotic quality to Beethoven`s music. Most people can`t, or won`t see beyond the ends of their noses, but the contributors to this forum, and many other like-minded folk, have been bitten by the Beethoven bug! And it seems to me that once bitten, you stay bitten, forever.
                      True, true!! He can bite me anytime..

The question is: Which Beethoven work proved to be the catalyst for you? Which piece, above all others, set you on this wonderful, neverending journey of discovery, admiration, enjoyment and fulfillment?
                      I liked his music, it's true, especially the sonatas, but had not heard most of them, nor most of his other works, then...I heard the Hammerklavier and it was OMG....then sonata opus 109..another OMG at the variations in it...and instant addiction...
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I have been bitten by the Beethoven bug and am incurable. It is a wonderful feeling. What work did it for me? I cannot point to a single work, but that I kept getting drawn in farther and farther. It started 4 decades ago with the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 9th, and then in more recent times (the past 2 years because I was away from classical and most music for a long time) it was the Ninth and the piano sonatas, followed by the Choral Fantasy, then the Missa Solemnis, then Fidelio, and on and on it went.

I had attended a number of operas in the 1980s and later wrote off opera in general as a relatively worthless category because of the subject matter of so many operas, but .... Then I discovered Fidelio and now I love Fidelio, but not opera. Oh, there is some beautiful music and dramatic singing, but none have such a wonderful story as Fidelio. When Fidelio really came alive was through a DVD. I wanted to watch this wonderful piece and have English subtitles to help me through. I was appalled at the horrid productions (avant garde) and odd (a century later in time than the original) but was pleased to find the 1978 Bernstein Fidelio. I have since come to believe that for me there is no other Leonore than Gundula Janowitz. What a phenomenal performance!

Anyway, as I bore into Fidelio reading books about it I came across a wonderful book titled, Beethoven the Creator" by Romain Rolland, which was about the Appassionata, Eroica, and Leonora as pinnacles of Beethoven's most creative years. That drew me into the Eroica. And now I am exploring all Beethoven's symphonies. Ah, wonderful that I still have so much left to explore after that.

The real question becomes: With so much Beethoven music and so little time, why spend much time listening to anything else? Oh we all do listen to other composer's music, but Beethoven is the heart and meat of our listening.
                        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

The Beethoven work that "did it" for me was his Sym. #5. This was the very first Beethoven composition I heard way back when I was in the 4th grade (mid 1960s).

My parents never listened to classical music at home while I was growing up, so when I first heard Beethoven's Sym. #5 performed on the radio in my 4th grade class, I was hooked for life. So danke god for that rainy school day and to my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Kramer who decided to turn on KFAC classical radio station Los Angeles for us to listen to since the rain kept us from playing outside.
                          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

A cool teacher indeed Hollywood!
                            Last edited by AeolianHarp; 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                              The Beethoven work that "did it" for me was his Sym. #5. This was the very first Beethoven composition I heard way back when I was in the 4th grade (mid 1960s).
                              Pretty sure my very first exposure to Beethoven was the Fifth.
                              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                              --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I don't think I can really answer this question....I've always loved classical music, I'm sure it was more than one work that got me into Beethoven.
                                For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Working...
                                X