Did you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you know?

Today is the birthday of Austrian composer and organist Johann Albrechtsberger (1736-1809). He became Beethoven's counterpoint teacher in 1794.

And the birthday of Composer Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) who was born in Hamburg who Beethoven had a great influence over particularly his instrumental technique.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    Today is the birthday of Austrian composer and organist Johann Albrechtsberger (1736-1809). He became Beethoven's counterpoint teacher in 1794.

And the birthday of Composer Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) who was born in Hamburg who Beethoven had a great influence over particularly his instrumental technique.

Joy
    Do you know any works of Albrechtsberger by listening? I have no idea about his music, but I'm very interested about, as to every other composer in Beethoven's environment.

Momentary still voting for Anselm, his Requiem will be my heavenly 'Wiegenlied' tonight.

Happy birthday both!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited February 03, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      Joy
      Do you know any works of Albrechtsberger by listening? I have no idea about his music, but I'm very interested about, as to every other composer in Beethoven's environment.

Momentary still voting for Anselm, his Requiem will be my heavenly 'Wiegenlied' tonight.

Happy birthday both!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited February 03, 2004).]
      Hi Pastorali! Can't say that I know any of his works but here is a couple of websites you may find interesting. Shows some of his compositions among other things like a short biography and a picture. Hope you enjoy it!
      http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...58&name_role=1
      http://www.hoasm.org/XIIC/Albrechtsberger.html

------------------

Comment

Thanks Joy! I will keep his Missa in mind.

Comment

I have a CD that includes a work by Johann Georg Albrechtsberger, his "Concerto for Flute, Guitar and Orchestra in D Major".

Here's a bit more info on him:

Johann Georg Albrechtsberger gave lessons to Beethoven and succeeded Mozart, at the latter's request, as assistant to the Kapellmeister of St Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, with right of succession, a promotion realised two years after Mozart's death, in 1793. He won contemporary distinction as an organist, composer and teacher, and displayed a particular mastery of counterpoint, reflected in his own 240 fugues and in the later work of his pupil Beethoven.

Organ Music:

Albrechtsberger published an enormous quantity of fugues and preludes and fugues, many for either organ or harpsichord. He left some 278 keyboard works, which, in general, show his technical skill.

Chamber Music:

Equally prolific in chamber music for various groups of instruments, Albrechtsberger based many of his instrumental compositions on the church sonata of the Baroque period, with its contrapuntal content.

Orchestral Music:

While Albrechtberger's four symphonies may be forgotten, his concertos for jew's harp have occasionally made their way into the modern trumpet repertoire. He also wrote concertos for trombone, for harp and for organ.

Comment

Did you know Schubert was amongst the audience in May 1814 for a performance of Fidelio at the Karntnerthor? An interesting Royal decree of 1812 announced that opera and spoken drama should be performed by separate companies - the Burgtheater for drama and the Karntnerthor for opera. Up until this time actors were expected to do both with the inevitable mediocre results, perhaps another contributory factor to the success of Beethoven's 1814 Fidelio revival?

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X