Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the best cycle of Beethoven's piano sonatas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Rod, but you still haven't told me HOW Perahia's playing on a piano is cumbersome. You maintain that it IS, but I already know that. I need to know the how. Is it the piano action? The tone? The performer?

Your seemingly flat-out refusal to consider any performance not done "authentically" has finally urged to me to also ask you to list your preferred period performances and artists. I have not listened to a period rec. for a fair while now, but I'm going to see how much more true they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I seriously cannot believe that anyone would say that this music works better on a Steinway than a harpsicord.

and this from Chris the Administrator:

Actually, I don't even understand why someone would want to do that. Harpsichord
      music sucks on the piano.

More closed minded nonsense from management. Guys, the people that read and post here didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Intelligent people with good taste don't mind ,and indeed welcome, differences in opinion. What we do mind is being told that there is only one way to approach music, and that we are wrong or ignorant for thinking otherwise.
      Serge, I know of some people who believe that harpsichord works sound just fine on a modern grand. To name a few: Tureck, Nikolayeva, Brendel, Schiff, Hewitt, Pogorelich, Argerich, Gavrilov, Gould, Kempff, Pletnev, Gilels, Horowitz, Rosen, Gulda, and Richter (as in Sviatoslav). Add me to the list, but what the hell do I know.

cg

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 01-24-2001).]

Comment

I simply judge a pianist by the sound he or she produces.

And in my opinion Perahia produces a sound as good as any I've ever heard.

I too would like to hear Rod's list of preferred period performances and artists.

Comment

Thank you, chrisg and amadeus.

Rod, Chris, you now have your waiting audience. Time to prove to us why your values supercede ours. Dazzle us with your peerless list of artists and performances. I'm sure there are a LOT of interested people now...

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
            Thank you, chrisg and amadeus.

Rod, Chris, you now have your waiting audience. Time to prove to us why your values supercede ours. Dazzle us with your peerless list of artists and performances. I'm sure there are a LOT of interested people now...
            Regarding our earlier discussion regarding P, it's not particularly his manner of playing the variations that is the problem, but rather the cumbersomeness comes from the piano when playing harp music on it, the extremely thick tone of the piano is totally unsuitable for harp music of any quality and can never be compensated by playing of even the highest quality. Perhaps you have not heard the Goldberg played on the Harpsichord? I have heard no pianist that is beyong critisism, but I have mentioned various fp players here before, I'm surprised you can't recall them, namely Paul Badura-Skoda, Jos van Immerseel, Malcolm Bilson, Melvyn Tan and Paul Komen, but I have lots of others on CD I can't even remember myself at this moment.

Rod

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Your views are personal, Rod, but you insist on enforcing upon them on us like they were natural laws. Sometimes some of us here (me, notably) become impatient with your persistent attitude that it's against God's will or something unless you sanctify it. But I rant.

The artists you mention are now conveniently listed for future reference. I will certainly hunt them out and give their take on c.m. an honest try.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                Your views are personal, Rod, but you insist on enforcing upon them on us like they were natural laws. Sometimes some of us here (me, notably) become impatient with your persistent attitude that it's against God's will or something unless you sanctify it. But I rant.

The artists you mention are now conveniently listed for future reference. I will certainly hunt them out and give their take on c.m. an honest try.
                Those who live in cages deserve to have them rattled. My observations are reasonable and relevent to this forum. The names I mentioned are not whole hearted recommendations, some of their recordings are excellent, some good, some average, some rubbish. Let me know which piece you are interested in and I will give you the best option available.

Rod

------------------
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Who has the best cycle of Beethoven's piano sonatas?

This is a very personal thing and not everyone hears the same way.
                  I own Askenazy, Brendel, Schnabel and Bernard Roberts.
                  Bernard Roberts has become my favorite for overall for interpretations, dynamic range, tone color, excitement, originality and the recordings are really good and affordable, the whole box set is only $34! You can preview on Amazon.com.
                  The room is perfect for his playing and his piano. I love Bernard Roberts Bach’s WTC, also. He really shines in Bach.

You can read more about Bernard Roberts below.

http://freespace.virgin.net/caroline.ireland/biog.html

Comment

i just found the complete set by Ashkenazy for $30 CAD (about $26 USD) on amazon.ca. wow. i ordered it. previously i had only the Schnabel set, and a double CD of Ashkenazy "favourite piano sonatas". I really like Ashkenazy's versions, and this complete set for only $30. awesome. I didn't even know it existed. can't wait to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                      By coincidence I listened to Perahia's cd in Borders recently, alongside another rendition of the variations played by someone else on the harpsicord. The latter served to highlight the cumbersome treatment of the score by the former.

Rod

------------------
                      I have to agree with your post Rod, there is no questioning Perahia`s wonderful sound but for me he is a little too neat. I own Perahia`s Goldberg Variations disc, also the English suites and Keyboard concertos. Dont get me wrong , I rate him very highly, especially his Liszt, but compared with the set by Wanda Landowska or Glenn Gould in his 1981 set, I personally believe they are in a different league entirely and create wonderful poetry on their respected choice of instrument.Gavrilovs set is also a gem I have recently discovered.

With regards to the complete Beethoven cycle, Solomon or Gilels of the 1970`s are sets I rate very highly, particuarly the Solomon no nonsense performances. The mystic Wilhelm Backhaus also has a fine set a real visionary but much tamer than his contemporaries, Sviatoslav Richter or Maurizio Pollini for example.
                      Last edited by David1770; 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X