• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Emperor" & Symphony #7

I'm planning to go to this performance on Thursday:
    https://www.ensembleartsphilly.org/e...all-beethoven/
    It should be exciting!
    Last edited by Zevy; 02-26-2024, 05:46 PM.
    Zevy

It looks to be a great concert. Let us know how it was!

Comment

The 7th is one I haven't heard live and would love to some day! Reading about the acoustics in the Verizon hall, they praise the clarity of the woodwind and brass which that symphony will surely put to the test!!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        The 7th is one I haven't heard live and would love to some day! Reading about the acoustics in the Verizon hall, they praise the clarity of the woodwind and brass which that symphony will surely put to the test!!
        That reminds me of a true story that happened to me many (20+?) years ago. I went to a concert where the orchestra was to play Mozart's Sinfonia concertante for Violin & Viola as well as Beethoven's Symphony #2. Well, there must have been a typo or some other mix-up, because they played #7. At that time, it was new to me. I must admit that I was just blown away. Even though I am a Mozart freak and I absolutely love the Sinfonia concertante, I had to "admit" that it was just fantastic. I am really looking forward to Thursday evening in Philadelphia.
        Zevy

Comment

Many years ago I heard the 7th performed live by a university student orchestra. I'm not sure who provided the spark, whether it was the timpanist or someone else, but the 4th movement turned out to be one of the most exhilarating performances I have ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Many years ago I heard the 7th performed live by a university student orchestra. I'm not sure who provided the spark, whether it was the timpanist or someone else, but the 4th movement turned out to be one of the most exhilarating performances I have ever heard.
            Yeah - I have a love-hate relationship with the fourth movement. Sometimes I think of it as a letdown from the previous three movements (sort of a drunken sailor chant because of the accent on the second beat) and sometimes I think of it a great way of finishing off a great piece of music.
            Zevy

Comment

Well, it was quite an experience. The orchestra, performer and conductor were all first class. The hall is marvelous, as the acoustics are great. It was designed to produce such a fine sound. Here are some pictures that I took before each performance:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9568.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	119190 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9569.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	119191
              Zevy

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, Zevy. Looks like a great place for a concert, and I'd love to get a crack at that organ!

Comment

Working...
                X