Beethoven string quartets op. 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven string quartets op. 18

I must admit that Beethoven's string quartets never were among my favourite works, actually I appreciated only the Adagio from op. 18,1 and the first mov. of op. 18,4. What are your thoughts about those 6 quartets? But now I tried to orchestrate op. 18,1 - thus forming it quasi into a new Beethoven symphony - and I am more than amazed about its vivid power and beauty, especially the great Adagio and the Finale: https://youtu.be/waSe_8YpWkg !

No.1 has always been my favourite of the Op.18 set and yes the adagio is one of the finest 'early' Beethoven works and your orchestration certainly does it justice.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I love them all, but it is Op. 18, No. 4 that sticks out to me from the others. Maybe it's because it's the first one I heard, but it remains my favorite to this day.

Comment

I also listened to them all anew. My favourites are: the whole #1, 4th mov. of #3, 1st. and 4th mov. of #4 and the whole #6 .
        The slow variation movement of #5 is generally much praised , even compared to Mozart's K464, but here I can't agree as it doesn't impresses me too much so far

Comment

I always put the String Quintet in C major, Op. 29 together with Op. 18 quartets. Just Sayin'
          Zevy

Comment

Working...
          X