Recommendations for Missa Solemnis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Missa Solemnis?

I have the Bernstein Missa from '61. It didn't quite hit with me. Though I admit this is the one major work of LvB's that continues to pose some problems for me.

I'm leaning towards Gardiner's 2012 version, which Lebrebt on his blog, Slipped Disc, described it as being so energetic as to be "Pagan." haha.
    It certainly does sound ferocious, from what I've sampled: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...d-major-op-123
    It also comes with a 36-page booklet penned by Stephen Johnson which sounds mouth-watering.
    My one big gripe though are the track listings. There are only FIVE. Good god! The track for Credo alone is almost 18 mins. They sure don't make it easy to navigate through the disc. Why do labels do that????

Also considering Suzuki's, not as "fiery" I suppose as Gardiner, but he seems to clarify certain details:
    https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...d-major-op-123

David Hurwitz of ClassicsToday calls out Klemperer and Blomstedt as his faves.

Wondering what others thought about the above recordings and which are your faves?
    Appreciate any input! THANK YOU.
    Last edited by euphony131; 03-09-2022, 03:25 AM.

Ormandy is pretty good. I also like Tate.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus/Otto Klemperer has always been my favourite, but if you like period instrument alternatives go with Orchestre des Champs Elysses and the Choeurs de la Chapelle Royale et du Collegium Vocale, directed by Philippe Herreweghe.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Another vote for the New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus/Klemperer recording. Fantastic!

Comment

My favorite is with Leonard Bernstein and the NY Phil that was recorded back in the early '60's. I'm not sure if that one is readily available or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            if you like period instrument alternatives go with Orchestre des Champs Elysses and the Choeurs de la Chapelle Royale et du Collegium Vocale, directed by Philippe Herreweghe.
            From what I sampled of Herreweghe it sounds wonderful. Better recorded than the Gardiner 2012. But how do the soloists stack up next to Gardiner's?
            Since I already have a "big band" Missa I'm really leaning toward a HIP version.
            I like the textures that come out with good HIP stuff.
            What do you think of Suzuki's?

BTW, I understand Herreweghe's Bach Mass in B minor is also pretty good?

Comment

I don't know the Suzuki, but I do have the excellent Herreweghe Bach B minor which I also recommend.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Klemperer for me.

Comment

Working...
                X