Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repeating the Development & Recap: Unprecedented???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating the Development & Recap: Unprecedented???

So listening to Piano Sonata No. 6 (1st mvt) I noticed that Igor Levit does NOT repeat the Development and Recap as apparently the Master wrote it.

First off, was LvB the first to do such an unconventional repeat?
    Second, is it considered optional to perform? Seems other big hitters don't do play it either.
    Third, what was LvB's reasoning for it? I love this little rollicking number (in particular for that crazy fast last mvt), but don't see what is gained by repeating those sections. I mean they don't especially stand out (at least compared to Developments and Recaps in his other sonatas). Did the themes have a special meaning (sentimental value?) for him?

Originally posted by euphony131 View Post
    So listening to Piano Sonata No. 6 (1st mvt) I noticed that Igor Levit does NOT repeat the Development and Recap as apparently the Master wrote it.

First off, was LvB the first to do such an unconventional repeat?
    Second, is it considered optional to perform? Seems other big hitters don't do play it either.
    Third, what was LvB's reasoning for it? I love this little rollicking number (in particular for that crazy fast last mvt), but don't see what is gained by repeating those sections. I mean they don't especially stand out (at least compared to Developments and Recaps in his other sonatas). Did the themes have a special meaning (sentimental value?) for him?
    First off, Beethoven isn't the first composer to repeat the development and recapitulation. Mozart does it all the time in his piano sonatas, as does Haydn. In fact, it's conventional in the times of Haydn and Mozart.
    Second, yes, it is generally considered optional, in Beethoven at least.
    Third, at least in Mozart and Haydn, the repeat of the development and recapitulation and possibly the coda as well is for balance, as they tend to write really short development sections.

Comment

Originally posted by Caters View Post
      First off, Beethoven isn't the first composer to repeat the development and recapitulation. Mozart does it all the time in his piano sonatas, as does Haydn. In fact, it's conventional in the times of Haydn and Mozart.
      Second, yes, it is generally considered optional, in Beethoven at least.
      Third, at least in Mozart and Haydn, the repeat of the development and recapitulation and possibly the coda as well is for balance, as they tend to write really short development sections.
      I see! Good to know! But since this is optional then why do "purists" go apoplectic when repeats aren't taken in his symphonies? Presumably they were optional as well? Curious to know if there's a pianist who leaves out Exposition repeats for any of his sonatas too.

Comment

I see! Good to know! But since this is optional then why do "purists" go apoplectic when repeats aren't taken in his symphonies? Presumably they were optional as well? Curious to know if there's a pianist who leaves out Exposition repeats for any of his sonatas too.
        Because there will always be those who say "Stick to the repeats the composer wrote, even if that makes a 1 hour performance into a 2 hour performance." I would tend to agree with this for exposition repeats, I have heard performances of Beethoven's Fifth without the exposition repeat in the first movement and it just irks me. And yes, there are pianists that leave out the exposition repeats. Claude Frank is one such pianist who leaves out the exposition repeats.

Comment

Wilhelm Kempff can be a bit arbitrary with exposition repeats (at least in his DGG stereo cycle.)
          In some of the earlier sonatas I don't think it's a big deal, but I can't forgive his omission of the exposition repeat in the "Hammerklavier" sonata!

Comment

Working...
          X