Best Beethoven music in movies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Beethoven music in movies!

What do you think about using Beethoven's music in movies? For me one of the good example is "Immortal beloved" especially "Kreutzer" (https://musescore.com/user/26645141/scores/5148477) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7LmeLfg5t0). Waiting for your ideas.

I recall the slow movement of the Emperor concerto in Picnic at hanging rock. I think it is a good thing, especially if they stay away from the cliches such as Fur Elise and the opening of the 5th. Although not Beethoven, Death in Venice introduced many to the music of Mahler - apparently an American producer was so impressed by the score that he wanted to know who the composer was and sign him up!!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The second movement of the 7th symphony was very effective in "The King's Speech". It probably got that movie the Oscar.

Comment

I heard that part of the 4th movement of Beethoven's Ninth was used in the movie, A Clockwork Orange. After reading a summary of the movie, I am glad I never saw it. Usually use of a good classical piece in a movie can ruin the music by making an association in one's head every time they hear the music. Whatever good was in Fur Elise, was totally destroyed by its use in a movie IMO--actually might even hate that piece now. Though someone posted an alternate version which was quite different and did not bring back the association with the movie.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This has got to be right up there. Ok, it's Hollywood-ized but it really works because the central character in the film (Dreyfus) has just found out his own son is deaf. The Dreyfus character is a musician and conductor. "Mr. Holland's Opus".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQMxN-bsj4

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post
            This has got to be right up there. Ok, it's Hollywood-ized but it really works because the central character in the film (Dreyfus) has just found out his own son is deaf. The Dreyfus character is a musician and conductor. "Mr. Holland's Opus".
            When Richard Dreyfuss was approached to star in "Mr Holland's Opus" he was told that there was going to be a lot of Mozart in the movie as Wolfgang was all over the place after the 1991 celebrations. Dreyfuss is a huge Beethoven fan so he insisted on that composer being predominant.

You'd imagine that the writers or producers or whatever would have realised that Beethoven was an ideal choice for a film that has deafness as one if its main themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

When Richard Dreyfuss was approached to star in "Mr Holland's Opus" he was told that there was going to be a lot of Mozart in the movie as Wolfgang was all over the place after the 1991 celebrations. Dreyfuss is a huge Beethoven fan so he insisted on that composer being predominant.

You'd imagine that the writers or producers or whatever would have realised that Beethoven was an ideal choice for a film that has deafness as one if its main themes.

I love Dreyfuss; he's a sensitive actor of great nuance and depth. A complex individual. And I love complex individuals. I'm not at all surprised he knew more than the writers!! Mozart's syrupy offerings just wouldn't have created the effect.

Comment

PS: I didn't mean to suggest that all Mozart was 'syrupy', merely that the film in question would have resorted to some of it which definitely is - for the emotional value it would have provided audiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post
                  PS: I didn't mean to suggest that all Mozart was 'syrupy', merely that the film in question would have resorted to some of it which definitely is - for the emotional value it would have provided audiences.
                  I think they avoided 'syrupy' Mozart in Amadeus - in fact they set out to present lesser known pieces.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

I think they avoided 'syrupy' Mozart in Amadeus - in fact they set out to present lesser known pieces.
                    Yes indeed. The film opens with the "Lesser G minor Symphony" which I had never heard before that and is now one of my all-time favourites.

Comment

"Overture to Egmont" from Lincoln! I love to play it at home when I'm alone! https://musescore.com/user/4215981/scores/4351111
                      I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family

Comment

Working...
                      X