Another DGG Complete Beethoven Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another DGG Complete Beethoven Edition

This seems to be a cut-down version of last year's big box. The large hardcover book and the other booklets with all the translations have been omitted - and over 25 or so CDs of alternative performances have also been removed.
    Also, it's much cheaper!

Deutsche Grammophon - der offizielle Shop - Beethoven - The New Complete Essential Edition (Ltd Boxset) - Ludwig van Beethoven - Box set

Well, you can never have too many Complete Beethoven Editions! This set does make sense, though, for people who just want everything by Beethoven and aren't interested in all the notes, multiple performances of the same work, etc.

Comment

Looking at it again, it should be a lot cheaper when compared to the Warner and Naxos boxes. Possibly the price will come down in a few months.

Comment

I have one "complete" Beethoven set of about 87 disks, so that will suffice for me. There sure are a lot of complete Beethoven sets. Need more complete Rachmaninoff sets, there are only two. And Mendelssohn. Who else?
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

There are complete Mozart, Bach and Haydn editions on the Brilliant label at quite reasonable prices, considering that each has over twice the amount of discs as the Beethoven edition. Most (or all) should be on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
            I have one "complete" Beethoven set of about 87 disks, so that will suffice for me. There sure are a lot of complete Beethoven sets. Need more complete Rachmaninoff sets, there are only two. And Mendelssohn. Who else?
            Schubert would be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              There are complete Mozart, Bach and Haydn editions on the Brilliant label at quite reasonable prices, considering that each has over twice the amount of discs as the Beethoven edition. Most (or all) should be on Amazon.
              I still appreciate your catch a few years ago of the complete Beethoven edition for $25.00!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post

I still appreciate your catch a few years ago of the complete Beethoven edition for $25.00!
                That is about what I paid. About 8 years ago I found a guy selling the Brilliant box of 87 disks with damaged boxes, otherwise new, for $24.95 plus shipping of about $4.95. He had several listed. I grabbed one immediately and told my son about it and that he could listen to it too. He replied that he also grabbed a set. Those kind of deals are rare. The box was not even that badly damaged and is fully functional. You'd have to look to find the damage.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

You mean your catch! I merely alerted you. (The new smileys look a bit off.)
                  Last edited by Michael; 07-28-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

That is about what I paid. About 8 years ago I found a guy selling the Brilliant box of 87 disks with damaged boxes, otherwise new, for $24.95 plus shipping of about $4.95. He had several listed. I grabbed one immediately and told my son about it and that he could listen to it too. He replied that he also grabbed a set. Those kind of deals are rare. The box was not even that badly damaged and is fully functional. You'd have to look to find the damage.
                    A very good edition too - if it's the same as the one for which I paid 100 euro! And Sorrano $25!!!
                    Does it have the Kurt Masur symphony cycle? If so, that's probably it.

Comment

A very good edition too - if it's the same as the one for which I paid 100 euro! And Sorrano $25!!!
                      Does it have the Kurt Masur symphony cycle? If so, that's probably it.
                      Mine is this set. This one has several different conductors, none big name, for the symphonies. Not the best of the big Beethoven sets, but good for exposing oneself to most of the music.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	00592b51.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	116985

Comment

Mine is this set. This one has several different conductors, none big name, for the symphonies. Not the best of the big Beethoven sets, but good for exposing oneself to most of the music.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	00592b51.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	116985
                        Yes - I managed to get that set back in 2007 for about fifty euro. It contains a lot of obscure works that were missing from some of the big-name boxsets. Most of it is sourced from the Naxos label - especially the acclaimed string quartet cycle by the Kodaly quartet. This last turned up again in the 2020 complete Naxos edition.

Comment

You mean your catch! I merely alerted you. (The new smileys look a bit off.)
                          True! Shortly after I did grab that from Amazon the price went up a hundred dollars. Figured that someone missed a digit when pricing that.

Comment

True! Shortly after I did grab that from Amazon the price went up a hundred dollars. Figured that someone missed a digit when pricing that.
                            I hope Jeff Bezos didn't sack anyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X