George Bridgetower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Bridgetower

Interesting Radio 3 broadcast on Sunday 04 July, 'Reclaiming the Bridgetower Sonata' on Sunday Feature.
    Many will know the story behind the Kreuzter.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Missed that unfortunately. What was the gist of it? I can't imagine Tolstoy would have bothered writing his novella 'Kreutzer sonata' had it been named Bridgetower!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Chi-chi Nwanoku OBE, world renowned double bassist, founder of Chineke! Orchestra and tireless campaigner for racial equality in the music world, goes on a journey to find out more about Bridgetower's life, why - or whether - he fell out with Beethoven, and campaigning to restore Beethoven's original dedication to the Sonata that he premiered. She enlists the help of superstar violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter, violinist/conductor Richard Tognetti and rising star American violinist Randall Goosby, as well as former US Poet Laureate Rita Dove. She attempts to persuade music publishers to change the title of the Sonata.
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Ah I see, she wants to rewrite history? Is she also on a mission to restore the dedication of the Eroica to Napoleon? I doubt it. Now Beethoven had ample time (24 years) to restore the dedication to Bridgetower had he wished to, but clearly did not, so why should it be changed now?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Ah I see, she wants to rewrite history? Is she also on a mission to restore the dedication of the Eroica to Napoleon? I doubt it. Now Beethoven had ample time (24 years) to restore the dedication to Bridgetower had he wished to, but clearly did not, so why should it be changed now?
          I listened to the broadcast. It was very interesting. I knew about this before. The story of Bridgetower is mentioned in many liner notes to recordings and performances.
          Peter - That's what "sells" now. Erase the past and re-envision it in new way. Nobody thinks less of Mr. Bridgetower now, nor will they think any more of him if his name appears as the dedicatee. Tolstoy's book uses the piece as a reference; I don't believe it has anything to do with whomever performed the work. I guess they will have to revise Tolstoy's book now!
          Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post

I listened to the broadcast. It was very interesting. I knew about this before. The story of Bridgetower is mentioned in many liner notes to recordings and performances.
            Peter - That's what "sells" now. Erase the past and re-envision it in new way. Nobody thinks less of Mr. Bridgetower now, nor will they think any more of him if his name appears as the dedicatee. Tolstoy's book uses the piece as a reference; I don't believe it has anything to do with whomever performed the work. I guess they will have to revise Tolstoy's book now!
            Yes it is an interesting story but I do think revising a composer's dedications posthumously to fit an agenda is a step too far. Beethoven could easily have made amends, either by rededicating the same work to Bridgetower or by offering a new piece in its place. Where do we draw the line with this? Perhaps the Violin Concerto that was written at the request of Franz Clement (who gave the first performance) should have its dedication changed from Stephan Von Breuning to Clement? A case could be made as Beethoven also partly modelled his work on the 1804 concerto by Clement. Or of course the Eroica be restored to Napoleon? No one could seriously argue these cases, so why is the Kreutzer any different?
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Don't forget Janacek's string quartet, No. 1............

Comment

Hmmm, we could have the "Sunlight" Sonata or that other piece, "Fur Anna".

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Don't forget Janacek's string quartet, No. 1............
                  I had forgotten it! In fact I don't even know it, but I see it was based on Tolstoy's novel rather than Beethoven's sonata, but yes it would have to follow suit and have the title changed along with the Tolstoy!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                    Interesting Radio 3 broadcast on Sunday 04 July, 'Reclaiming the Bridgetower Sonata' on Sunday Feature.
                    Many will know the story behind the Kreuzter.
                    Am I right that we are talking about Kreutzer by Beethoven (https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?tex...zer%20sonata)?
                    The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/piano

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik Stromberg View Post

Am I right that we are talking about Kreutzer by Beethoven (https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?tex...zer%20sonata)?
                      Yes indeed.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X