Ferdinand Ries in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferdinand Ries in New Zealand

Italian pianist Matteo Napoli is performing with the Manukau City Symphony Orchestra
    a piano concerto by Ferdinand Ries - a friend and pupil of Beethoven's.

Beethoven was believed to complain that Ries imitated him too much but Manukau City Symphony Orchestra co-ordinator Terry Spragg says "it is remarkable that a 22-year-old could write a work which is both Beethovian in spirit and yet unmistakably original".

The concert will be held at St George's Church in Papatoetoe on September 6 for any New Zealand members - I'm sure we have at least one!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

In connection with this I wondered if anyone actually knows any of Ries's music? Well here is a link to 'Beethoven's pupils'
    http://www.branarecords.com/br0005.php

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very interesting article about these men. I had no idea that Ries was connected to Paganini. Interesting story about the conductor Gurh as well. Thanks.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Here's a little information I found on Ries;
        (1784-1838) He was the composer of a great number of chamber music works, six symphonies, piano works, operas, and oratorios. Beethoven said of Ries' composition, "He imitates me too much". He and F.G. Wegeler published their "Biography of LV Beethoven" in 1838. Here's a quote by Ries concerning his piano studies with Beethoven; "When Beethoven gave me a lesson he was, I might almost say, unnaturally patient. This as well as his friendly treatment of me, which seldom varied, I must ascribe principally to his attachment and love for my father. Thus he often would have me repeat a single number ten or more times. When I left out something in a passage which in many cases he wished to have specially emphasized, or struck a wrong key, he seldom said anything; yet when I was at fault with regard to the expression or matters of that kind, he would grow angry. Mistakes of the other kind, he said, were due to chance."

------------------

Comment

My Classical Radio station has a program every weekday morning called "In The Shadows"
          where little known composers get their brief moment in the spotlight.The presenter offers biographical information and music.Not too long ago they featured Ferdinand Ries' .
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
          X