Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Solomon book

Article on Solomon's latest theories!

"Now comes Late Beethoven , which deals with the composer's music from 1812 until his death in 1827. Although he shrinks from saying it definitively, his research indicates that Beethoven was a practicing Freemason well into his late years.

No records survive to show that Beethoven was a member of any lodge, but Solomon's examination of the Tagebuch , or diary, Beethoven kept from 1812 to 1818 shows that many of the passages from obscure literature the composer copied into the book can be explained only by reference to Masonic sources, and that keeping the diary itself was part of the self-education process required of would-be initiates.

Of course, many public figures of the late 18th century were Masons; the secret society's focus on universal brotherhood went hand in hand with the Enlightenment. In addition to composers like Haydn and Mozart (The Magic Flute is a Masonic opera), Goethe, George Washington and Ben Franklin also knew the secret handshake.

Solomon's focus on Masonic influence on Beethoven, however, enables us to see many of his last works in a very different light, most notably the Ninth Symphony.

The choral finale of that work sets to music the "Ode to Joy" of Friedrich Schiller, a poem recognized in its day as Masonic (though not one himself, Schiller associated with many prominent Masons in Leipzig). Some of the more vaporous lines — "Brothers, above the tent of stars/a loving Father cannot but dwell" — mean one thing when seen as a magnanimous expression of Enlightenment man reaching out to the oppressed, but something altogether more ethereal when seen as an exhortation to fellow Masons to have faith in an all-seeing divinity.

Late Beethoven also is valuable for its exploration of the Seventh Symphony, which Solomon maintains would have been understood in its day as a tribute to the civilization of ancient Greece.

The Seventh's prime motivator is rhythm, and Solomon links the core rhythms of each of the movements to their verbal equivalents. Educated listeners would have heard the insistent pulses of the movements as evocative of classical poetry, Solomon asserts.

There is much more, including trenchant analyses of the beautiful G Major Violin Sonata (Opus 96) as a supreme example of the pastoral style, and the magnificent Diabelli Variations for piano as a profound musical journey in which variation itself can be seen as the core of Beethoven's art ("The capacity for endless metamorphosis is at the heart of his imaginative gift'').

Solomon also takes on the undying question of whether Beethoven should be considered a Classical or Romantic composer, and concludes that he is simply unique, though incomprehensible without reference to the ideas and processes of both periods.

More important than putting him in one or the other category, Solomon argues, is understanding that Beethoven in his time "was widely regarded as a radical modernist" and that recent developments in musicology such as the authentic-instruments movement have tended to "anaesthetize us to the impact of his music."

Late Beethoven is not for everyone; the layman will perhaps find it too specialized and too arcane. But readers with a serious interest in the intellectual armaments of this astonishing composer will appreciate Solomon's varnish-stripping of the portraits of Beethoven we hang in our cultural museum, revealing the vibrant colors and bold brushstrokes beneath."

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Well I have flicked through this book myself and noticed the considerable amount of discussion concerning the Masons. I'm not particularly interested whether Beethoven was a mason or not, chances are he could have been, given that, as has been said, there has long been a connection betwen the masons and the arts. Composers after Beethoven too were masons.

I am not convinced by the masonic connection with the 9th if one considers that Beethoven had had an interest in setting Schiller's Ode from his early days. I think Beethoven was considering a bigger picture here even if masonic connections had crossed his mind at the time of composition.

One could see why he would regard op96 is pastoral because of its many warm and flowing lines, but the flavour is not quite pastoral to my mind, so I would disagree here too.

I don't know what he's talking about with the 7th.

With the Diabeli variations I can agree, I have got the same impression myself of this 'journey', but there is nothing new in this idea. Also I agree with his view of Beethoven as unique regarding the classical or romantic issue, nothing new here either however, though I for one fit him more with the earlier group and not at all with the later.

Regarding authentic instruments he has missed the point.

I won't be adding this book to my Christmas list for Santa.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 02, 2003).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Peter, who wrote this 'article' on the Solomon book?

Chaszz
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        Peter, who wrote this 'article' on the Solomon book?

Chaszz
        Are you suggesting the 'article' is in error?

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          Are you suggesting the 'article' is in error?

No, I used quotes because Peter said it was an article, but then didn't identify the author, leading me to believe he might have written it himself.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            No, I used quotes because Peter said it was an article, but then didn't identify the author, leading me to believe he might have written it himself.

No I always own up to my efforts! This article was taken from http://www.andante.com/article/article.cfm?id=22019

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very interesting article. I would be interested in reading his latest book. I am in need of a new book on Beethoven anyway.
              I have also read about Beethoven being a freemason, however, with all the many books I've read on him I don't remember which book it was in!!

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X