Last night's Prom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night's Prom

Did anybody else notice that Beethoven's 7th sounded rather odd on last night's televised Prom concert (UK - BBC1)?

The violins seemed to be almost inaudible in places, most noticably at the beginning of the 4th movement. This seemed to change the entire theme of that movement.

I don't think it was my telly! Perhaps it was a technical fault. Could have been a different interpretation, but I've certainly never heard that interpretation before!

Melvyn.

Originally posted by melvyn:
    Did anybody else notice that Beethoven's 7th sounded rather odd on last night's televised Prom concert (UK - BBC1)?

The violins seemed to be almost inaudible in places, most noticably at the beginning of the 4th movement. This seemed to change the entire theme of that movement.

I don't think it was my telly! Perhaps it was a technical fault. Could have been a different interpretation, but I've certainly never heard that interpretation before!

Melvyn.
    I was about to make a post on this very topic! I was listening in stereo though headphones and the sound was a complete mess. Indeed the strings were inaudible, in boosting the volume trying to hear them I was deafened by the flutes! The drums sounded very poor too.

So it was difficuly to judge the true quality of this performance. But I got the impresson it was somewhat wooden, lacking that touch of panache.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 23, 2003).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I was about to make a post on this very topic! I was listening in stereo though headphones and the sound was a complete mess. Indeed the strings were inaudible, in boosting the volume trying to hear them I was deafened by the flutes! The drums sounded very poor too.

Thank goodness for that - I was beginning to think that I was the only person who'd even watched it!

I recorded it on DVD and if I find a way to extract the audio from it I'll post a short sample for those who missed it.

It makes an interesting item for the collection anyway!

Melvyn.

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said.
        I heard the 7th while on holiday, in Stratford-Upon-Avon and thought myself that it was a bad performance. But I did enjoy listening to Consecration of the House, with Champagne and strawberries in Shakespeare's Elizabethan garden, under beautiful sunny blue skies, with lovely balmy air wafting in from the river.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited August 26, 2003).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
          I agree with what everyone has said.
          I heard the 7th while on holiday, in Stratford-Upon-Avon and thought myself that it was a bad performance. But I did enjoy listening to Consecration of the House, with Champagne and strawberries in Shakespeare's Elizabethan garden, under beautiful sunny blue skies, with lovely balmy air wafting in from the river.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited August 26, 2003).]
          Sounds like a wonderful evening Amalie! Classical music and champagne? What could be better! Did they play any other Beethoven compositions?

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Sounds like a wonderful evening Amalie! Classical music and champagne? What could be better! Did they play any other Beethoven compositions?

That was the only Beethoven piece, but also played was Handel's Water Music, and it was very fitting watching the swans glide to and fro on the river. It was all most enjoyable.
            Whilst in Stratford-Upon-Avon I purchased a book on Beethoven, written by -Susan Lund, based on source material,entitled, RAPTUS, 1995. The first chapter starts with, Beethoven; a true 'Fleshy Father'?

Susand Lund maintains that Beethoven was the father of Antonie Brentano's last child, Karl Joseph, born March 1813.
            She adduces certain factual evidence that I suppose is correct, but which she then tries to fashion around an arguement and make it fit.
            The child was reported to be of strong build and looked like Ludwig.

At an early age (Karl Joseph) was stricken with partial paralysis of the legs. More seriously in his 4th year he showed signs of severe mental retardation, coupled with epileptiform seizures and violent behaviour which required that he be constantly watched and restrained. During the last 15 years of his life - (he died 1850) - he was perpetually under the care of three attendants.

I find the book interesting, but I certainly do not subscribe to her premise.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
              That was the only Beethoven piece, but also played was Handel's Water Music, and it was very fitting watching the swans glide to and fro on the river. It was all most enjoyable.
              Whilst in Stratford-Upon-Avon I purchased a book on Beethoven, written by -Susan Lund, based on source material,entitled, RAPTUS, 1995. The first chapter starts with, Beethoven; a true 'Fleshy Father'?

Susand Lund maintains that Beethoven was the father of Antonie Brentano's last child, Karl Joseph, born March 1813.
              She adduces certain factual evidence that I suppose is correct, but which she then tries to fashion around an arguement and make it fit.
              The child was reported to be of strong build and looked like Ludwig.

At an early age (Karl Joseph) was stricken with partial paralysis of the legs. More seriously in his 4th year he showed signs of severe mental retardation, coupled with epileptiform seizures and violent behaviour which required that he be constantly watched and restrained. During the last 15 years of his life - (he died 1850) - he was perpetually under the care of three attendants.

I find the book interesting, but I certainly do not subscribe to her premise.

Nor do I. I have read this theory before and even saw it presented on a Beethoven program once. People come up with all sorts of things!

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X