Beethoven weekend (Edinburgh Festival)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven weekend (Edinburgh Festival)

I had a great time last weekend in Edinburgh not only for the string quartet cycle (Stockbridge Parish Church) but the last 3 sonatas performed by Andreas Schiff and a lecture given by none other than Alfred Brendel!

A total of 4 different ensembles performed the quartets and how different they sounded!
    The younger players positively seethed with passion and energy (bodies swaying to the music) while the more experienced groups exuded an impressive stillness and gravitas.

A definite highlight was Op 132. At my friend's suggestion we moved right up to the front and what a revelation it was! I was overwhelmed by the sheer intellectual exhilaration of the interplay between instruments and the expression on the cellist's face as if he was playing for his very life!! The final movt was superfast, desperate, knife-edge stuff - as it must be.

Op 131 the next day (Sun) was a full house and luckily my friend got in through a re-sold ticket! This time it was an older group but how effortlessly they played the opening fugue and following variations. The galloping nightmare of a climax was simply thrilling!

Op 127 and Op 135 suffered the indignity of a broken string and an out-of-tune violin but the players recovered admirably, re-starting the affected movts.

I only missed 3 quartets (Op 18 no 5,6 and Op 130, 133) but this was due to the alternative Beethoven events below!

Back on the Friday night, over in a packed Usher Hall, there was a palpable sense of expectation as Andreas Schiff walked on to perform Op 109,110,111. It just felt so wonderful to see all those people responding to this music with such obvious love and devotion - I spotted a young boy sitting in the organ gallery completely entranced!! The highlight was 111, the fiery opening, that astonishing jazz-like variation and the masterly exploration of the piano's range.

As for Mr Brendel, well, I confess I couldn't make out all that he said (Usher Hall Upper Circle...) but the illustrative extracts from a good many of the 32 were more than enough compensation. His charming accent and dry sense of humour were a delight too.

His main point seemed to be that each Beethoven sonata had an individual "character" that pianists ought to be aware of and stay faithful to as far as possible.

Sounds like you had a glorious time, Bernard, as if you had died and gone to sonata heaven. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at these concerts.

Comment

Sounds like a great concert and Alfred Brendel would have been a special highlight!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited August 28, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Sounds like a great concert and Alfred Brendel would have been a special highlight!

Well, I saw an interview on TV where Brendel was discussing Beethoven sonatas that was less than enlightening, quite the opposite in fact.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Why, what did Brendel say about Beethoven that you disagreed with?
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by bernardc:
            I had a great time last weekend in Edinburgh not only for the string quartet cycle (Stockbridge Parish Church) but the last 3 sonatas performed by Andreas Schiff and a lecture given by none other than Alfred Brendel!

A total of 4 different ensembles performed the quartets and how different they sounded!
            The younger players positively seethed with passion and energy (bodies swaying to the music) while the more experienced groups exuded an impressive stillness and gravitas.

A definite highlight was Op 132. At my friend's suggestion we moved right up to the front and what a revelation it was! I was overwhelmed by the sheer intellectual exhilaration of the interplay between instruments and the expression on the cellist's face as if he was playing for his very life!! The final movt was superfast, desperate, knife-edge stuff - as it must be.

Op 131 the next day (Sun) was a full house and luckily my friend got in through a re-sold ticket! This time it was an older group but how effortlessly they played the opening fugue and following variations. The galloping nightmare of a climax was simply thrilling!

Op 127 and Op 135 suffered the indignity of a broken string and an out-of-tune violin but the players recovered admirably, re-starting the affected movts.

I only missed 3 quartets (Op 18 no 5,6 and Op 130, 133) but this was due to the alternative Beethoven events below!

Back on the Friday night, over in a packed Usher Hall, there was a palpable sense of expectation as Andreas Schiff walked on to perform Op 109,110,111. It just felt so wonderful to see all those people responding to this music with such obvious love and devotion - I spotted a young boy sitting in the organ gallery completely entranced!! The highlight was 111, the fiery opening, that astonishing jazz-like variation and the masterly exploration of the piano's range.

As for Mr Brendel, well, I confess I couldn't make out all that he said (Usher Hall Upper Circle...) but the illustrative extracts from a good many of the 32 were more than enough compensation. His charming accent and dry sense of humour were a delight too.

His main point seemed to be that each Beethoven sonata had an individual "character" that pianists ought to be aware of and stay faithful to as far as possible.

Alfred Brendel is my favourite Beethoven interpreter, I know not everyone will agree, but to my mind his brilliantly sympathetic and studied interpretation of the Sonatas just cannot be beaten!
            He may at times, I agree, lack a little dynamism in his playing, but his readings are so fantasically scholarly, well wrought and have this great architecture and grammar to them that makes his playing the most satisfying listening experience of any modern interpeter. By way of a hideous contrast I was given a recording of Pollini playing Beethoven, and I couldn't bear to listen to it, it seemed so meaningless and discordant.

For anyone interested in John Suchet Tour Schedule UK, for the remainder of this year and the begining of next.

27th, Sept.03 at Windsor Festival, 3.00pm

11th, Oct. 03 at Chester,MBNA Europe Bank, 8.00pm

6th Dec. 03 at Tivoli Theatre-Wimborne 8.00pm

31st, Jan. 04 at Harrow Arts Centre, 7.30pm

14th Feb. 04 at Chequer Mead Theatre, East Grinstead, 7.30

21st Feb. 04 at Middlesborough Theatre, 7.30pm

For more info. e-mail -

info@allelectricproductions.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited August 28, 2003).]
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              Why, what did Brendel say about Beethoven that you disagreed with?
              He dismissed B's metonome figures totally out of hand. He presumed Beethoven expected these tempi to be adhered to in a strict manner throughout, despite B's own words on this matter that the figures refer just to the opening bars (and thus the remainder of the movement can be judged on a proportionate basis). He demonstrated B's figure for the first movement of the sonata op106 and it sounded perfectly correct for the intro 'fanfare', but then attempted to play what followed in this strict tempi - and of course eventually it didn't sound right. So Brendel used this to justify the use of a much slower tempo from the outset that was less effective to my ears.

I am against tempo fluctuation where it undermines the underlying momentum, as one so often hears, especially when the underlying tempi used are already too slow, and often you hear rubato effects inserted where they are not necessary which also has a disruptive effect.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 29, 2003).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I never heard him discussing beethoven or any other music in fact but I do have a few redcrodings by him performing some Beethoven sonatas and I do enjoy his playing. He's better than Glen Gould at any rate! At least he doesn't hum while he's playing!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X