• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page - 3 Sonatas for Fortepiano and Violin Op.12

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Nice performance - Just curious as to why no first movement here? they're generally the finest in this set, save perhaps the slow movement of no.3. Incidentally a critic of 1799 wrote 'Learned, learned, always learned, no naturalness, no melody!'

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Nice performance - Just curious as to why no first movement here? they're generally the finest in this set, save perhaps the slow movement of no.3. Incidentally a critic of 1799 wrote 'Learned, learned, always learned, no naturalness, no melody!'

First movements are typically longer than finales. A compromise has to be made with my selection concerning the downloadability of the files and also the upload space I have available. What I have presented is fine enough as far as I am concerned, though not perfect by any means, this is easily the best set of the Beethoven violin sonatas ever recorded.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        though not perfect by any means, this is easily the best set of the Beethoven violin sonatas ever recorded.

I feared some contradiction here but it seems good sence has prevailed. I immediately gave away my copy of the lack-lustre Ashkenazy/Perlman set (the most recommended recording by the critics) after my first listen of this Immerseel/Schroder recording. Alas it has long been deleted from the catalogue other than a single cd of the Kreutzer and Spring sonatas from this set. These sonatas are usually poorly performed from my experience, even more so than B's other chamber music.

------------------

Comment

I quite enjoyed these pieces. Thank you once again, Rod. They did put a smile on my face and they took my mind off the terribly strong hot winds that are blowing here in Heiligenstadt. Winds like these tend to give me headaches, so this music did help to take the edge off of my pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            I quite enjoyed these pieces. Thank you once again, Rod. They did put a smile on my face and they took my mind off the terribly strong hot winds that are blowing here in Heiligenstadt. Winds like these tend to give me headaches, so this music did help to take the edge off of my pain.
            Well I thought I'd put up some cheery pieces and a slow number for the romantics! I get a lot of cheer from no3 as a whole, this in particular is a first rate composition.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 28, 2003).]

Comment

I very much enjoyed these brilliant, lively and delightful pieces, in particular No 3.
              I do have the 10 Sonaten fur Klavier und Violine, by, David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin. An excellent box set. Recorded 1962.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited August 27, 2003).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                I very much enjoyed these brilliant, lively and delightful pieces, in particular No 3.
                I do have the 10 Sonaten fur Klavier und Violine, by, David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin. An excellent box set. Recorded 1962.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited August 27, 2003).]
                How would you say your early(ish) recordings compare with the current mp3s Amalie? I still cringe thinking of Mutter's live performances of these sonatas shown on BBC TV a while back.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 28, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
                X