The Mozart Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mozart Effect

They are now thinking that the "Mozart Effect" may not have the same meaning that researchers wrote about in the '90's and that it won't make your IQ soar an by listening to classical music before taking a test improves scores only because "listening to this music affects you energetically and makes you feel happy and that people who feel vigorous and in a good mood score better on tests". The new studies find when "people hear a sad dirge before taking tests it depresses their performance and makes them more sluggish while listening to a more 'up' Mozart sonata has opposite effects". It goes on to say that key and tempo matter on this subject. "A fast tempo makes listeners feel more energetic and they score higher on spatial tests while slower tempo has the reverse effect. Music in a major key improves test performance while a minor key lowers scores."
    This article appeared in the Phoenix newspaper and USA Today recently.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I just wonder who pays these people to come up with these ridiculous studies! Surely it doesn't take an Einstein to work out that different tempi or major/minor keys affect mood differently - one things for sure, none of their mothers were listening to Mozart during pregnancy!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited August 26, 2003).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree! I think all these researchers and scientists have way too much time on their hands! Plus they get grants left and right for thinking up of these ridiculous things to 'study'. Plus making tons of money to boot! I think I'm in the wrong line of work!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited August 26, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
      X