Strange sonata form (?) in Op.110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange sonata form (?) in Op.110

In the first movement of the piano sonata Op.110 we have something that appears to be a sonata form: there is an exposition, with a subject in the tonic (a flat) and then a subject in the dominant (e flat). But when the thematic material returns, in the recapitulation, after passing through what appears to be a development, it's in c sharp! Then it goes through e, a, and e flat. So, there's nothing of the conventional harmonic relations of the form, nor any presence of the tonic key in the recapitulation. Can this still be called a sonata form? What would it be otherwise?

It is in Sonata Form - you must have missed the recapitulation which begins in the tonic key at bar 56. Also the 2nd subject returns in the tonic (bar 76).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It is in Sonata Form - you must have missed the recapitulation which begins in the tonic key at bar 56. Also the 2nd subject returns in the tonic (bar 76).

Yes, I missed it. Missing it was the cause of reading an article which said the first three measures of the movement were an introduction and the thematic material started in measure 4. So in the recapitulation I didn't expect to find the material of mm.1-3 again. My mind was confused.

Anyway, I must thank you for answering with such a big knowledge my continuous questions about forms in Beethoven's movements.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        Yes, I missed it. Missing it was the cause of reading an article which said the first three measures of the movement were an introduction and the thematic material started in measure 4. So in the recapitulation I didn't expect to find the material of mm.1-3 again. My mind was confused.

Anyway, I must thank you for answering with such a big knowledge my continuous questions about forms in Beethoven's movements.
        Well I can see how those first few bars do seem like an introduction - anyhow you're welcome, that's what we're here for!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X