X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIENNA - Aug 4 to 11

Hi everyone! (new member),

If anyone wants to join me for a "pilgrimage" to Vienna this August
    it would be nice to have some company. I have already booked a flight and accomodation for the above dates.

I will be following in the footsteps of The Master himself of course as well as finding out about the city's connections with Mozart, Schubert and Haydn. I've already got tickets for several concerts including a Beethoven marathon (Aug 11) re-creating the famous 1808 concert in the Theatr an die Wien - in the same venue!

If interested, check out www.madaboutbeethoven.com, an excellent site
    which describes some of the places in Vienna associated with Beethoven. This is my guide book!

Incidentally, the man behind it, John Suchet (well-known to British people as a TV newscaster (US "anchorman"?!) came up to Dumfries recently to give a talk on Beethoven. Though the pianist accompanying was a little underwhelming (old piano too..) it proved to be a very entertaining evening. Mr Suchet was an excellent speaker and communicated his love and passion for the composer very well indeed.

Hope to hear from you,

Regards,

Bernard C

Hi Bernard. Are you going to be coming here to Vienna alone or with a tour group? If you're with a group then I assume that you have a private guide who will be taking you to all of the places these composers have lived, etc.

I live here in Heiligenstadt (in Vienna's 19th district) and I really enjoy showing visitors to all of the places where these famous composers lived and loved. I'm curious as to what the itinerary is for this visit. Do you know what particular places you'll be seeing? Just with Beethoven alone there are a number of his old addresses that are still standing. I live just down the street from three of his old flats.

Well if you or any other Beethoven fans are ever here in Vienna and need a guide to help you around this city that Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Strauss and others called home, send me an e-mail and I'd be more than happy to show you my Vienna.

Enjoy your visit here, Bernard. Vienna will not disappoint you.

Comment

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for replying. I did have you in mind when posting the topic!

I shall certainly be visiting Heiligenstadt during my stay. Would it be possible to meet up with you there? My earliest memory of Beethoven is his 2nd Symphony which of course he composed in Heiligenstadt - while writing that despairing "testament"!

Another definite "day trip" will be Baden where the 9th was completed and possibly Modling.

By the way, it would be nice if you could make one of the concerts I'm going to:

10th Aug - Theater an der Wien (Op 67, 68, 58, 86, Choral Fantasy)
      parterre links 7 Reihe Sitz 7

8th Aug - Theater an der Wien (Idomeneo))
      parterre rechts 6 Reihe Sitz 8

6th Aug - Palais Lobkowitz (Op 59 No 2)
      Reihe 9 Sitz 6

9th Aug - Schubert Geburtshaus (Schubert impromptus)
      parterre 10 Reihe Sitz 51

You see, I'm all fixed up!

Regards,

Bernard C

Comment

Bernard, I will be in Vienna Oct. 20th through the 28th, doing the same thind as you. Unfortunately, the great series of concerts you are going to will not be given at that time. I hope there is some music going on in late Oct.

Please provide feedback from your visit, tips and suggestions I can use during my tour. It will be an individual tour. My e-mail is in my profile. Thanks and enjo!

------------------
        Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche
        Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche

Comment

Yes, Bernard, we could meet up in Heiligenstadt when you are here. I live just a few minutes walk from the house where Beethoven lived when he composed his Sym.#2 and his "Testament". There is a small museum here but it is closed on Mondays.

Feel free to e-mail me privately and I could also give you my mobile phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito:
            Bernard, I will be in Vienna Oct. 20th through the 28th, doing the same thind as you. Unfortunately, the great series of concerts you are going to will not be given at that time. I hope there is some music going on in late Oct.

Please provide feedback from your visit, tips and suggestions I can use during my tour. It will be an individual tour. My e-mail is in my profile. Thanks and enjo!

Hi Tito. So you too will be visiting my Vienna. My offer as a guide to the Beethoven places to see in Vienna is open to anyone on this forum who plans to visit here. I did notice that the dates you plan to be here are in Oct. My husband and I hope to be in the USA for a 6 week trip at this time. But if you need any tips as to which Beethoven sites are a must, e-mail me and I'll try to help out if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by bernardc:
              Hi Andrea,

Thanks for replying. I did have you in mind when posting the topic!

I shall certainly be visiting Heiligenstadt during my stay. Would it be possible to meet up with you there? My earliest memory of Beethoven is his 2nd Symphony which of course he composed in Heiligenstadt - while writing that despairing "testament"!

Another definite "day trip" will be Baden where the 9th was completed and possibly Modling.

By the way, it would be nice if you could make one of the concerts I'm going to:

10th Aug - Theater an der Wien (Op 67, 68, 58, 86, Choral Fantasy)
              parterre links 7 Reihe Sitz 7

8th Aug - Theater an der Wien (Idomeneo))
              parterre rechts 6 Reihe Sitz 8

6th Aug - Palais Lobkowitz (Op 59 No 2)
              Reihe 9 Sitz 6

9th Aug - Schubert Geburtshaus (Schubert impromptus)
              parterre 10 Reihe Sitz 51

You see, I'm all fixed up!

Regards,

Bernard C
              It's certainly a very tempting week to be in Vienna!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tempting indeed! It will be very interesting to get all the information from the people who plan to visit Vienna, something to look foreward to for us less fortunate people who are too far away!

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

My husband and I hope to be in the USA for a 6 week trip at this time.

A beautiful time to be in this part of the country, Andrea. The weather will be perfect by then. Are you going to attend any of the Beethoven concerts in August?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X