Holiday CD Presents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday CD Presents

I got The Beatles Anthology from my husband and The Beatles 1 from my girlfriend. No one I know would have the confidence to buy Beethoven for me! I ordered the late quartets by Quartetto Italiano for myself No one 'freak out'. Our Rodney is on holiday, miles from a PC.

We must be the only two sober, Suzie. All three of your CD presents are great. I bought "Anthology 1" when it came out and I didn't bother buying "Beatles 1" as I have every bloody thing by that group. (I think it's safe to mention them again).
    And you will really enjoy the Italiano set! It's my absolute favourite for the late quartets (and the early and middle!) Beautiful playing and great sound!
    Somebody gave me a present of Jeff Wayne's musical version of "The War of the Worlds" which came out twenty years ago and I haven't heard it until three days ago! Great stuff! Nobody will give me a Beethoven CD because I have about four hundred at the last count.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Comment

oh wow, we're allowed to discuss the Betales in here? Or will we be horsewhipped on the stairs of the club?~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ~Leslie:
        [B]oh wow, we're allowed to discuss the Betales in here? Or will we be horsewhipped on the stairs of the club?~

No ma'am, you're not! It's that apples(pardon the pun) and oranges things again. No one may mention the Beatles being more popular than God or having the staying power or ingenuity of the Master(how the heck would we know anyway? It hasn't been long enough to judge). You very well could be whipped.

Did Santa bring you any tuneage for Christmas?

Yours,

Suzie

ps. That drive to Canby, Oregon sucks in the pouring rain!

Comment

Nobody will give me a Beethoven CD because I have about four hundred at the last count.
          Cheers,
          Michael[/B][/QUOTE]

Michael,

I think I'm fairly sober.

Is that 'War of the Worlds' the one with the Moody Blues? It's on the radio here every Halloween.

400 Beethoven CD's? You win!

Cheers!

Suzie

Comment

[

Is that 'War of the Worlds' the one with the Moody Blues? It's on the radio here every Halloween.

400 Beethoven CD's? You win!

Cheers!

Suzie

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues sings on it, and Richard Burton does the narration.
            Incidentally, all of Beethoven's output would fit comfortably onto less than a hundred CD's, but I have about at least three or four versions of a lot of works, hence the 400 odd. I even keep some versions I dislike (unlike Rod who gives them away) because I think there are umpteen ways of listening to B. (I don't get out much!)

Michael

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
              [b]
              Originally posted by ~Leslie:
              oh wow, we're allowed to discuss the Betales in here? Or will we be horsewhipped on the stairs of the club?~

No ma'am, you're not! It's that apples(pardon the pun) and oranges things again. No one may mention the Beatles being more popular than God or having the staying power or ingenuity of the Master(how the heck would we know anyway? It hasn't been long enough to judge). You very well could be whipped.

Did Santa bring you any tuneage for Christmas?

Yours,

Suzie

ps. That drive to Canby, Oregon sucks in the pouring rain!

Yes, I'm tired of finding my dance partners' stall flooded, but it still beats freezin our buns off in Spokane.

It seems all my internet buddies have stepped up in the world, and are now endowed with CD burners.

So they have fwded the following: (!!!!)

Pedro Aznar - not sure of title
              Al Dimeola's "Grande Passion"
              Paul McCandless "Premonition"
              Pat Metheny "Trio Live"
              Keith Jarrett-"Whisper Not"

And still looking for "Oregon in Moscow", a unique blend of contemporary and classical oriented music.

My holiday favorites were:

Tuck Andress - Hymns, Carols, and Songs
              About Snow

Al Dimeolas' - Winter Nights

Both of them have a lovely version of "Ave Maria", which I must learn how to play one of these days.

The highlight of the advent was seeing the Oregon Ballet Company perform the "Nutcracker".

Now there's a bowl of fruit for sampling. ~

Comment

I got (selected all by me) the Ma/Ax cello sonatas and the Suk/Panenka violin sonatas. They are great! The only complaint I have is that WoO 45 was left out of the Ma/Ax set to keep it down to two CD's. That doesn't really matter that much, though. I also picked up Don Giovanni (Krips 1955). Not Beethoven, but hey, it's Don Giovanni - of course it rules!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Suzie:
                  [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by ~Leslie:
                  [B]oh wow, we're allowed to discuss the Betales in here? Or will we be horsewhipped on the stairs of the club?~
                  No ma'am, you're not! It's that apples(pardon the pun) and oranges things again. No one may mention the Beatles being more popular than God or having the staying power or ingenuity of the Master(how the heck would we know anyway? It hasn't been long enough to judge). You very well could be whipped.>>

Who are The Beatles?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    I got (selected all by me) the Ma/Ax cello sonatas and the Suk/Panenka violin sonatas. They are great! !
                    I have the Suk/Panenka set on vinyl but I haven't played it for years as my turntable is held together by sticky tape and rubber bands. I use it now only when transferring vinyl to MiniDisc.
                    If I remember rightly, the records sounded very "trebly" but they were great performances. Have they improved the sound in the CD transfers? What I mean is, do they sound bright?

Michael

Comment

I got a CD of Handel Overtures and arias with Emma Kirkby (no, it wasn't from Rod !) which I have yet to listen to - A more composed state of body and mind are needed than have been apparent during the past few days of delightful over-indulgence!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I just got the live performance of the triple concerto and choral fantasy done by Itzhak Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, and Daniel Barenboim. Listened to it ten times already. Its a magnificent performance BUT like all live recordings you hear things that Beethoven never intended you to hear.

LIKE SOMEONE CLEARING HIS THROAT!!!!!!

I mean come on, talk about away to ruin your listening concentration.

I also got Maurizio Pollini late Beethoven sonatas. And all I can say Is Damm. I never new Beethoven's 32 sonata was that dam good.(only way I heard up untill now was through MIDI)

Also I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my box set of Murray Perahia with the Englich CO doing all of Mozart's piano concertos. Heard this set is as good as it gets.

G_D I cant WAIT..

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                          I have the Suk/Panenka set on vinyl but I haven't played it for years as my turntable is held together by sticky tape and rubber bands. I use it now only when transferring vinyl to MiniDisc.
                          If I remember rightly, the records sounded very "trebly" but they were great performances. Have they improved the sound in the CD transfers? What I mean is, do they sound bright?

Michael
                          Well, I don't hear any "trebliness" in them. They sound great to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X