New 'Archduke' and 'Ghost' Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 'Archduke' and 'Ghost' Recording

Anyone who, like me, feels that recordings of these works lean a little too much on the sentimental (romantic) side may like to try out a new authentic instrument recording on the Sony Classics lable by Jos van Immerseel (fp) Anner Bylsma (vc) and Vera Beths (vn). With op97 the tempi are a little tighter than we are generally used to, which tend to be a little too moderate with the moderato movements (i and iv) and the scherzo also.
    With op70/1 the first and last movements, which due to their compessed nature can sound a little overbearing played traditionally, gain some clarity from the leaner textured period instruments. The slow movement is played much quicker than normal, which benefits the melodic line - this movement is usually pushed too far for me regarding tempo. The work as a whole I believe works better as a homogeneous unit with a quicker Largo. Otherwise movements i and iii become merely prologue and afterthought. Of course others may differ regarding the above points...

Rod
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Well thanks for the recommendation Rod - I have a recording of Op.97,also with Op.70 no.1 played by Eugene Istomin, Isaac Stern and Leonard Rose - One sure way of comparing the tempos of the movements you mention is to compare the timings !
    Op.97 1st movement - 13'46
    4th movement - 7'20
    Op.70 2nd movement - 10'53

I agree that the Scherzo from Op.97 is often too leisurely, the Andante which lasts 12'26 on this recording is also a little slow.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Well thanks for the recommendation Rod - I have a recording of Op.97,also with Op.70 no.1 played by Eugene Istomin, Isaac Stern and Leonard Rose - One sure way of comparing the tempos of the movements you mention is to compare the timings !
      Op.97 1st movement - 13'46
      4th movement - 7'20
      Op.70 2nd movement - 10'53

I agree that the Scherzo from Op.97 is often too leisurely, the Andante which lasts 12'26 on this recording is also a little slow.
      Here are the timings for my recommendation:

op97:
      i: 12.09
      ii: 6.24
      iii: 10.58
      iv: 7.19

op70/1:
      ii: 9.01

I have heard your recoeding and quite like the outer movements of op97, but their op70/1 does nothing for me. The scherzo of my recommendation although fairly quick, could be quicker still. I have an older recording by the castle trio that is really (but still realistically) swift, swift enough for them to credibly observe the repeat of the dark trio section - something I have never heard on any other recording - in this case the scherzo lasts 9.53. I regard the slow interpretation of this movement as the reason why the repeat is not observed.

Rod
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X