Ludwig's dedications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ludwig's dedications

Archduke Rudolph was the largest recipient of dedications from Beethoven; more than any other person by any other composer, as far as I know. I'm not sure how many ded. he received exavtly, but I think it's somewhere around 10-15. I'm probably wrong, though... can anyone clarify?

Also, I do wonder how many dedications of his were made out to women. I know of Giulietta's, but how many others were there? Did Beethoven compose anything at the request of women? Did he try and earn favor of his crushes by writing them pieces? I get the idea he would do something sweet like that.

There are plenty of dedications to women! (it seems half of the female aristocracy of Europe received at least one gift from B!). Maybe you can find a B op. list with info about dedications. I have a very complete one about Mozart with years of the compositions, cities, dedications and time lengths!

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 12-11-2000).]
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:

Also, I do wonder how many dedications of his were made out to women. I know of Giulietta's, but how many others were there? Did Beethoven compose anything at the request of women? Did he try and earn favor of his crushes by writing them pieces? I get the idea he would do something sweet like that.
      Perhaps that was the motive for 'Fur Elise' actually written Fur Therese Malfatti -
      There were many works dedicated to women , amongst them Dorothea Von Ertmann, a paricularly fine interpreter of B's work - he dedicated Op.101 to her.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
        Archduke Rudolph was the largest recipient of dedications from Beethoven; more than any other person by any other composer, as far as I know. I'm not sure how many ded. he received exavtly, but I think it's somewhere around 10-15. I'm probably wrong, though... can anyone clarify?

The Kinsky-Halm catalogue (the WoO one, that is) contains a list of Widmungsträger (pp.775-776).

Rudolph got 15 dedications, Lobkovitz 7, Carl von Lichnowsky 5, Moritz Lichnowsky 4.

Ladies a.o.
        Josephine von Braun 2,
        Antonie Brentano 1,
        Maximilliane Brentano 2
        eleonore von Breuning 2
        Julie von Breuning 1
        Therese Brunsvik 2
        Countess Clary 3
        Josephine Deym (Brunsvik) 1
        Countess Erdödy 3
        Giulietta Guicciardi 1
        Babette Keglevics (Odescalchi) 4