Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know Piano Sonata #28?

Hi all,

I'm dying to figure out what the movement titles Beethoven gave this piece, Piano Sonata #28, Opus 101 means. It's obviously German & I've never come across a translation. It'd be really nice if -- for once -- these stuffy Classical record companies would put out linear notes that have the English equivalant right below the "esoteric" jargon. I still have a hard time telling apart the Italian directions like "ma non troppo" versus "Allegretto." Why must they make it so hard for those of us who did not have the pleasure of attending a conservatory?

Well, here are the movements. If anyone can translate, I'll be indebted. Thanks!

1) Etwas lebhaft und mit der inningsten Empfindung.
    2) Lebhaft, marschmaBig.
    3) Langsam und sehnsuchtsvoll.
    4) Geschwinde, doch nicht zu sehr und mit Entschlossenheit.

Originally posted by euphony131:
    Hi all,

I'm dying to figure out what the movement titles Beethoven gave this piece, Piano Sonata #28, Opus 101 means. It's obviously German & I've never come across a translation. It'd be really nice if -- for once -- these stuffy Classical record companies would put out linear notes that have the English equivalant right below the "esoteric" jargon. I still have a hard time telling apart the Italian directions like "ma non troppo" versus "Allegretto." Why must they make it so hard for those of us who did not have the pleasure of attending a conservatory?

Well, here are the movements. If anyone can translate, I'll be indebted. Thanks!

1) Etwas lebhaft und mit der inningsten Empfindung.
    2) Lebhaft, marschmaBig.
    3) Langsam und sehnsuchtsvoll.
    4) Geschwinde, doch nicht zu sehr und mit Entschlossenheit.

It would be something like this:

1) somewhat sincerely and with inner(?)sensation.
    2) active, marching.
    3) slowly and yearningly.
    4) fast, however not too much and with determination.

On italian notation:
    1) allegro ma non troppo
    2) Vivace alla Marcia
    3) Adagio ma non troppo, con affetto-attacca
    4) Allegro.

On the difference between allegro ma non troppo and allegretto I think it has to be more with the mood than with the tempo itself. I could be wrong, but although allegretto is usually faster than allegro ma non troppo (allegro but not too much), the main difference seems to be that while amt is more paused, allegretto is more lighter and lively but without being scherzo (joking).

hope this helps, Luis.

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited 11-24-2000).]
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Comment

Working...
    X