Sonatina in G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonatina in G

On another note, I've tried listening to Mozart, received several cd's as gifts, but I just can't get into it...no comparison whatsoever with Beethoven, in my opinion!

I've had to grow into a lot of composers and styles. I didn't care too much for Mozart until I saw the movie 'Amadeus' and flipped over the fantastic sound track. The character of Mozart in that movie was awful but the guy who played Salerie (sp?) so turned me on the music I left the theater literally with a pleasant burning sensation in my torso. Been a Mozart fan ever since but Beethoven is just a different style altogether. They are both giants -- in my opinion as composers, number 1 and 2 and which is which depends on who I'm listening to at the moment. A long time ago I disliked opera but now a Mozart aria sung by somebody like Renee Fleming is pure beauty to me, absolutely sublime. So don't give up on any of these composers, they have a way of growing on you. Tom

Sonatina in G

I'm an adult beginner in piano and really fell for B's Sonatina in G and have been practicing this difficult (for a beginner) piece for over a year. As I gained more and more intimacy with this piece, I started wondering about Beethoven's connection with it. I didn't doubt he composed it but I begin to think he must have written this piece very early, like when he was a teenager or something. It just doesn't have Beethoven's "signature", meaning for me it doesn't fit the Beethoven who composed other piano solos like Fur Elise and the Minuet in G and many others. Then, recently I read in an old back issue of Clavier magazine just one line by a teacher who said something like this: "We now know that Beethoven did not compose the Sonatina in G." That was it, nothing else! I could strangle the guy for just putting that in without explanation. Does anyone know whether Beethoven really composed this piece and if not who the scholars think did? And if he did, why does it seem so elementary for Beethoven. I'd love to know. Thanks.

Comment

The authenticity of the 2 sonatinas is dubious - they probably date from 1790-2 and would therefore be quite early pieces if by Beethoven.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        The authenticity of the 2 sonatinas is dubious - they probably date from 1790-2 and would therefore be quite early pieces if by Beethoven.

I have recordings of these sonatinas. I agree they would have to be very early Beethoven, but they do not sound unbeethovenian for this period and I would lean to the idea that they are in fact Beethoven pieces. Usually it is transparently clear whether a work is by Beethoven ot not.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I have recordings of these sonatinas. I agree they would have to be very early Beethoven, but they do not sound unbeethovenian for this period and I would lean to the idea that they are in fact Beethoven pieces. Usually it is transparently clear whether a work is by Beethoven ot not.

This is one of the first B pieces I've worked with--and I agree that it is not unBeethoven. I compare it with the Op. 41 (?) Sonatas; while it is much simpler than the two sonatas the styles are not unsimilar.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I feel a little better about claiming that I am practicing a piece of music by Beethoven.

Tom Westbury

Comment

I play this piece as well and agree it is not unbeethoven. It's a very nice piece to play and in my book is dated 1790.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I love the sonatina in G! I can even play it now!

I have a question for you. At what speed should I be attempting to play the "Sonatina in F", the only version I have heard (on a website) is played extremely fast, and my piano teacher says it is not supposed to be played that fast,at least, she didn’t learn it that way. She is looking in her books to see if she can find at what speed it is normally played, but I thought maybe someone here had an idea at what speed I should set my metronome? Any help would be much appreciated, as it would save me a lot of frustration!

Comment

Julie,

Congratulations on the Sonatina in G. I play it every day now as a warm up piece. I’m not familiar
                  with the Son in F. Where did you find it on the web. I’d like to hear it. Tom

Comment

I don't know if we are able to post links here, but if so, this is where I listened to it.
                    http://www.classicalarchives.com/beethovn.html

I have to warn you though, my piano teacher says it is played too fast. The Sonatina in G is nice though. And the minuet in G I was also learning but I didn't like their version as well so I stopped practicing that one! I also love to play the sonatina in G as a warm up to the current pieces that I am learning. It is a such a happy, cheerful piece!

Comment

Thanks Julie. There are several Sonatinas in F and all sound pretty good. I guess the speed is a matter of preference. My teacher said the Sonatina in G should be played at dotted quarter note = 53 which is really fast. I have a good recording and it
                      is played about this speed which I can't do yet. But I really enjoy playing it every day and trying to improve on it. The 2nd mvt esp is lovely with a wonderful ending that I still find difficult but I'm
                      persisting.

One of my favorite pieces is the minuet in g but those opening right hand two finger
                      chords drive my crazy. How long did it take you to get those and how did you do it? tom

Comment

I have no problem with the speed for the Sonatina in G, it's the speed to play the sonatina in F that is perplexing. (by the way, I LOVE the romance part of the sonatina in G too, it is my favorite)

Well, I searched the internet all morning and found a site which says that for the sonatina in F, the first 4/4 part had no tempo marking and the second movement is 3/4 allegretto. I guess that helps somewhat... I'll figure it out eventually.

Like I said, I had started the minuet in G but I didn't like the way it sounded and I gave up on it (yes I found it a little difficult to learn especially since I have only been playing for slightly over a year now). I'll try again when I feel better qualified! Right now I am learning a waltz (not Beethoven, unfortunately...hahaha)

I'm glad to meet another fellow piano student! I like learning different songs on the piano but I always come back to Beethoven, he is truly the best, IMO. I have read that the piano wasn't even his favorite instrument, yet he wrote such passionate songs for it that take your breath away! Another one I like is the Pathetique. Of course I have the simplified version but it still sounds lovely. I play that one often as well. That and the Moonlight Sonata (simplified) of course, my all time favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:
                          I have read that the piano wasn't even his favorite instrument, yet he wrote such passionate songs for it that take your breath away!
                          I think that quote refers to the last years of his life when his interests turned away from the piano to the string quartet.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

In Schindler's biography of B, if I'm not mistaken, it says there that he composed this sonatina as well the one before it in G-, and forgot all about them, until he found them and published. That's why they appear before the waldstein, but don't sound middle B at all...
                            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                              In Schindler's biography of B, if I'm not mistaken, it says there that he composed this sonatina as well the one before it in G-, and forgot all about them, until he found them and published. That's why they appear before the waldstein, but don't sound middle B at all...
                              Right, but those aren't actually the pieces we are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X