The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 03-25-2001, 03:44 AM   #1
John Rasmussen

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
CPE Bach's music had a real influence on early Beethoven - the sudden sforzandos and changes in dynamics can all be found in CPE's music. Just look at B's sonata Op.2/1 to see that.
C.P.E. Bach is an unfairly neglected master, caught between his father and Handel before him and Haydn and Mozart after. But both Mozart and Haydn acknowledged their debt to him. If I recall correctly, Mozart called CPEB "the father of us all."
John Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Andrea

Lightbulb In Beethoven's Words

First of all I see that my earlier topic of "Beethoven Quote of the Day" has gone from this board, so I am continuing here with this:
"Of Emanuel Bach's clavier works I have only a few, yet they must be not only a real delight to every true artist, but also serve him for study purposes; and it is for me a great pleasure to play works that I have never seen, or seldom see, for real art lovers."
-26 July 1809, to Gottfried Härtel, of Leipsic, in ordering all the scores of Haydn, Mozart and the two Bachs.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

CPE Bach's music had a real influence on early Beethoven - the sudden sforzandos and changes in dynamics can all be found in CPE's music. Just look at B's sonata Op.2/1 to see that.

------------------
'Man know thyself'
Old 09-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
Rod

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrea:
First of all I see that my earlier topic of "Beethoven Quote of the Day" has gone from this board, so I am continuing here with this:
Not only that chain, but at least one other too. I typed a response to the Wagner quote chain and upon submiting the post the chain dissappeared. Also some of the Bach v Handel chain went missing after I posted to that also. I posted a message in the suggestions forum asking what was going on - but the message didn't even show up on the screen! What's going on Chris!?

------------------
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 30, 2002).]
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:12 AM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Bump to account for time bug.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: