Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piano Sonatas: Beethoven's original score markings..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Sonatas: Beethoven's original score markings..

By way of introducing myself to this excellent site - I would like to ask members a question about score markings in Beethoven's Piano Sonatas.
    From my various edited publications (incl. Urtext/'Err-text'?) many differences are apparent when comparing them. As I will be recording the C major, Op.2#3 in the New Year I would like, if possible, to obtain a mss facsimile to study. Can any members please give me any advice on this/address of archive that houses this particular mss.?

------------------

Welcome to the site Ben - I'm not sure about the original ms , but an original edition is in the Beethovenhaus Bonn.

Urtext is the best edition to use for Beethoven. The Schnabel edition would also be of tremendous use if you can find it anywhere.

Good luck with your recording!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The edition that I use is the Henle Urtext. This is the most commonly used by the big pros. Schnabel's edition is fascinating but the text is highly flawed.

Associated Board (though it gets A LOT of stick!) is also a good edition to have because of the notes by Donald Francis Tovey which are VERY helpful indeed.

Wienner Urtext is also one of the best editions from my experience.

Tim.

PS. I learned all this from one of my piano teachers here at Guildhall - Ronan O'hora. He is very famous for his Beethoven interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim:

Associated Board (though it gets A LOT of stick!) is also a good edition to have because of the notes by Donald Francis Tovey which are VERY helpful indeed.

The AB edition is good - My old teacher was Harold Craxton's pupil at the Academy, so I'm bound to agree !

The AB edition of Bach's 48 is less satisfactory - the fingering by Harold Samuel being suited to larger hands.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

The AB edition of Bach's 48 is less satisfactory - the fingering by Harold Samuel being suited to larger hands.
          The (NEW) Bach AB edition is very good in terms of the text I think. I saw a masterclass with Angela Hewwit recently and she recomended it for the text. (She is the one with a cery highly acclaimed recording of the P+F's. You can see her on BBC 2 late at night playing them sometimes... you English guys!)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

The (NEW) Bach AB edition is very good in terms of the text I think. I saw a masterclass with Angela Hewwit recently and she recomended it for the text. (She is the one with a cery highly acclaimed recording of the P+F's. You can see her on BBC 2 late at night playing them sometimes... you English guys!)

Comment

Working...
            X