The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 11-18-2000, 03:35 AM   #1
tamayo

Question Gertrude's Dream Waltz

I'm very new to Beethoven and all classical music. Heard a piece "Gertrude's Dream Waltz." Where can I find a midi to listen to on the computer? I did a search and some sites came up, but the words "Gertrude's Dream Waltz" did not appear on the sites anywhere. Is there some other way to identify this piece? And, is this on any sound recording/CD? Thank you for the assistance.
tamayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 03:51 AM   #2
Chris
Administrator

http://ftp.sunet.se/cma/beethovn.htmlHere</a> is a link to a MIDI. Look down the page, you should find it.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 11-17-2000).]
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2000, 02:51 AM   #3
Michael

If you use www.google.com as search engine, you will pick up numerous entries referring to "Gertrude's Dream Waltz" but no actual information about it.
I've never heard of it before. Does anyone know if it has a Hess or any catalogue number? Or is it one of those "borderline" pieces that may have been by B.?
It's an attractive little tune, anyway, judging by the MIDI, but it's totally unfamiliar to me. (Of course, all I need now is someone informing me that's it's a well-known movement slowed down or played backwards).

Michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2000, 05:35 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Question

I couldn't find it on CD, so I'm not sure.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2000, 05:54 PM   #5
Michael

Just got this from the Unheard Beethoven site:

Detailed Information
Gertrude's Dream waltz for piano, Kinsky-Halm Anhang 16, nr.2 (Date unknown).

This waltz is almost certainly not by Beethoven (who wrote practically zero waltzes, and nothing in the style of this composition). It was first published in 1852 by Schuberth in Leipzig as being a Beethoven composition. No autograph or sketches exist and as noted the style is wholly unlike Beethoven. The actual composer is unknown. The piece did become enormously popular and was a fixture of amateur pianists' repertoires well into the 20th century.

I was fooled for a bit, anyway, which shows how much I know!

Michael

Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: