Beethoven's Hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Hair

Hi all; I am about halfway through the new book, 'Beethoven's Hair', and was wondering if any of you had read it. I'm really enjoying it, esp. being able to put other composers in historical perspective. Because you guys seem to all be music history experts (I thoroughly enjoy reading all your posts...it's a great education! ), I would love to hear your opinions on the accuracy of the information in the book.
    Thanks!
    Susan

Originally posted by Susan:
    Hi all; I am about halfway through the new book, 'Beethoven's Hair', and was wondering if any of you had read it. I'm really enjoying it, esp. being able to put other composers in historical perspective. Because you guys seem to all be music history experts (I thoroughly enjoy reading all your posts...it's a great education! ), I would love to hear your opinions on the accuracy of the information in the book.
    Thanks!
    Susan
    Er....'Beethoven's Hair'!? I've never heard of such a book. It must be quite novel with a title like that! Is it a serious publication?

Yes, if you hang around here you will indeed be 'educated' (though how well is another matter!!).

Rod

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I mentioned this book in an earlier post - (New info on Beethoven's death) - I haven't read it yet, so actually Susan when you've finished it , please let us know what you think !

For those of you interested , check out the new book, 'Beethoven's hair' by Russell Martin (New York, Broadway Book 2000) - published 17/10/2000.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Just finished the book this morning; I thoroughly enjoyed it. Books like that make history come alive, I wish they would use them more in schools. I got a great refresher course on WWII, as well as some wonderful information on Beethoven, and what other composers thought of him. Not enough info, though, I am now thirsty for more! I shall go back through some other posts for your assorted book recommendations!

Near the end of the book, when the strands of hair are being removed from their case, there is a mention of a BBC crew filming this to add to a documentary on B that they were making. This was 1995, I believe. Do any of you know about this documentary? I realize that was a few years ago, but we Canadians have great respect for British TV/movie productions, (I'm sure not everything the BBC does is brilliant; just what we do get is such a far cry from the south of the border stuff )

Comment

The BBC documentary was indeed shown a few years ago, and it opened with a shot of Beethoven's lock of hair being removed from it's sealed container. This opening scene was just a couple of minutes long and was not referred to again in the course of the film.
          The documentary was one of a series of dealing with seven different composers - Bach, Mozart and Tchaikovsky also featured and the narration was by Kenneth Branagh. They crop up from time to time on various arts channels so you may be able to come across it.
          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
            Just finished the book this morning; I thoroughly enjoyed it. Books like that make history come alive, I wish they would use them more in schools. I got a great refresher course on WWII, as well as some wonderful information on Beethoven, and what other composers thought of him. Not enough info, though, I am now thirsty for more! I shall go back through some other posts for your assorted book recommendations!

Near the end of the book, when the strands of hair are being removed from their case, there is a mention of a BBC crew filming this to add to a documentary on B that they were making. This was 1995, I believe. Do any of you know about this documentary? I realize that was a few years ago, but we Canadians have great respect for British TV/movie productions, (I'm sure not everything the BBC does is brilliant; just what we do get is such a far cry from the south of the border stuff )
            Susan,

I am reading Beethovens Hair also and I thinks it's pretty good so far. I read some things I haven't seen before(but I haven't gotten through "Thayers..", yet). I recommend the early biographies by B's friends Wegeler/Ries and von Breuning.

You are quite correct about 'south of the border productions' as I am from this notorious place.

I keep seeing Beethoven's hair(and I don't mean the book) up for auction on ebay. It's quite distressing!!! It's seems to run over $200. for 1/2 inch. Now that's my idea of a cool Christmas present!

Suzie

Comment

Working...
            X