Piano & Cello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano & Cello

What a sweet combination! Another Beethoven strike to inherit by his successors.
    I'm very interested to hear some recommendations (not concertos, just duos and specially with lyrical slow movements). So far I've only listened:
    Mendelssohn's variations concertantes for cello & piano, Op. 17, Grieg's sonata for cello & piano in A minor, Op.36 (nice!), Shostakovich's sonata for cello & piano in D minor and, also by Mendelssohnn, his Lied ohne Worte for Cello & Piano, Op. 109 (marvelous!).
    I know Brahms has some sonatas and also Rachmaninoff, have you heard them? Do you know any others?
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Beethoven's cello sonata op. 69. This is what you need to listen to. No questions, okay?!

Comment

Beethoven's cello sonatas are of a supreme quality and contrast that they could easily make a concert programme on their own (and are 10 times greater on period instruments, of which there are not surprisingly an abundance of such recordings of these works). I love especially the fugue of op102/2, such intellectual strength and character, though it can be played with more of a 'swing' than is often heard, to my taste.

I listen to no other cello sonatas these days, who needs to? - Beethoven created, and reached supreme perfection in, this genre before anyone else even picked up a bow.

Rod

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Luis ,don't forget the Cesar Franck Sonata which I think is arranged for either violin or 'cello. Schubert's Arpeggione sonata is really lovely and there is also some fine music in this genre by Faure .Chopin also wrote a 'cello sonata.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm going to pick up a set of these very soon (Ma/Ax). I really love the sound of cello and piano together.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations!

PS;
            (Of course I've heard -and loved- all B's cello sonatas and arranfements!! -not on PI, though.-)
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
            You'll thank me later...

Comment

I went to a recital of op.69 this summer, loved it of course, but still have not bought a recording. I was planning to buy the ma/ax as well, but would like to hear any suggestions for recordings with period instruments....maybe I'll buy both to compare; can't have too much Beethoven!

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Susan:
                I went to a recital of op.69 this summer, loved it of course, but still have not bought a recording. I was planning to buy the ma/ax as well, but would like to hear any suggestions for recordings with period instruments....maybe I'll buy both to compare; can't have too much Beethoven!

Susan
                Mine is quiet good and cheep also. Csaba Onczay (cello) - Jenó Jandó (piano) on Naxos. Two cds with the five cello sonatas as well as some variations: on Mozart’s magic flute (Op. 66 & woO. 46) and from Handel’s Judas Maccabaeus (woO. 45).
                You'll thank me later...

Comment

Working...
                X