Harpsichord or clavichord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harpsichord or clavichord?

Bach wrote a lot of music for keyboard instruments, of the kind where the sound is produced by means of strings, not of wind. Although he never gave instruments the importance that composers from later epochs gave them, was there any of them that he favoured over the other? Where they played by him in the clavichord or the harpsichord? I guess, of these two, it was the one that did not strike the strings but plucked them, the one that in French is called clavecin.

Clavecin refers to the harpsichord.

Bach played both the harpsichord and the clavichord, and they each had advantages. The harpsichord was a more powerful instrument, and was suitable for ensemble playing, but it was inexpressive in that no matter how hard you pressed the keys, the volume was the same. The clavichord did respond to touch, so it had more expressive possibilities, but it was a very quiet instrument and couldn't generally be used in ensembles. The clavichord was an instrument for the home, and certainly offered something to the musician playing for his own pleasure. Many of Bach's solo keyboard works are suitable for the clavichord, and Bach surely played many of them on that instrument.

Personally, I don't much care for the sound of the clavichord, though. It is rather weak-sounding to my ears. But I have only heard recordings of them and have never played one for myself. Come to think of it, I have never played a real harpsichord either, alas.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Clavecin refers to the harpsichord.

Bach played both the harpsichord and the clavichord, and they each had advantages. The harpsichord was a more powerful instrument, and was suitable for ensemble playing, but it was inexpressive in that no matter how hard you pressed the keys, the volume was the same. The clavichord did respond to touch, so it had more expressive possibilities, but it was a very quiet instrument and couldn't generally be used in ensembles. The clavichord was an instrument for the home, and certainly offered something to the musician playing for his own pleasure. Many of Bach's solo keyboard works are suitable for the clavichord, and Bach surely played many of them on that instrument.

Personally, I don't much care for the sound of the clavichord, though. It is rather weak-sounding to my ears. But I have only heard recordings of them and have never played one for myself. Come to think of it, I have never played a real harpsichord either, alas.
      All right, and thanks. But which of the two is the more usually heard in performances of Bach's, or barroque period for that matter, music for solo instrument? Another thing. Was there, in the upcoming time, an instrument able to play only piano and forte, that is either piano or forte?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
        All right, and thanks. But which of the two is the more usually heard in performances of Bach's, or barroque period for that matter, music for solo instrument?
        Well, clavichords can't really be used in public performances - they are too quiet, unless you are in a small room. So the harpsichord is generally used for that. You can make a recording of either; there are many more harpsichord recordings than clavichord recordings out there.

Another thing. Was there, in the upcoming time, an instrument able to play only piano and forte, that is either piano or forte?
        Yes, some harpsichords could do this. Harpsichords sometimes had two manuals with different stops (and a coupler), so that you could acheive "loud" and "soft" effects. Bach specifically calls for this in his Italian Concerto, in fact.

Comment

Alright. Now, and I recognize I could go to the Grove, is the clavicembalo another name for either of these or a third instrument? It's not mentioned in wikipedia.

Comment

It is the Italian word for harpsichord.

Comment

Thank you, Chris for your illustrative posts.

Comment

The 48 Preludes and Fugues were written for keyboard but Bach most certainly would have performed them on the Clavichord.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

May be he had problems with his wife, though I very seriously doubt it. Or the children needed to sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                    May be he had problems with his wife, though I very seriously doubt it. Or the children needed to sleep!
                    Possibly! The Clavichord is actually a very difficult instrument to play which along with its being useless in public performance probably explains its demise!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Here is an interesting disc that uses harpsichord, clavichord, and square piano, and is mastered such that the relative volume levels between them are maintained. It really lets you hear the differences between these instruments (and it contains the rare BWV 1061a!).

http://www.amazon.com/JS-Bach-WF-CPE...CYA/ref=sr_1_6

Comment

Working...
                      X