Was Beethoven Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Beethoven Black?

Please can you help with this - I am coming under pressure as a teacher to disprove/prove this belief. I would be grateful if anyone could point me towards evidence either way.

------------------
    chamsplat
    chamsplat

No, he was certainly not black. His family tree is well known, and there are no blacks anywhere that we know. He was known to have a reletively dark complexion, and this may be the cause of some confusion. To see his family tree, go to http://www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/family%20tree.html - it is quite clear on the issue.

------------------
    "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well in this politically correct age one has to be careful how you put this for fear of being labelled racist , but the simple answer to your question is NO - Beethoven was not black.I'm not sure where the idea for this comes from - maybe some people have read that Beethoven had a dark complexion (in his Bonn days, he was nick-named 'the Spaniard' - owing to his simply being tanned (then quite unfashionable).Beethoven's ancestry can be traced back to the 15th century in Belguim.I believe the recent tests that have been carried out on Beethoven's hair prove conclusively that he was not of black origin.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

NO! Beethoven was certainly not black. I have to say I do not know where such a comment would come from but if Beethoven was black he would not have had the treatment he did-being able to stay in Palaces, etc. Besides, the pictures of him truly conclude he did not look like this.

Comment

Working...
        X