rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rivalries

How strongly rivalled was Beethoven with other composers of his age in Vienna? Composers like Hummel and Czerny were well-known in B.'s day, but was there much of a divide between them? Did musicians or composers fight for endorsements or placements within aristocracy? These days, all musicians fight for market share and fan base in their respective genres; I wonder how it was like back then.

Originally posted by Serge:
    How strongly rivalled was Beethoven with other composers of his age in Vienna? Composers like Hummel and Czerny were well-known in B.'s day, but was there much of a divide between them? Did musicians or composers fight for endorsements or placements within aristocracy? These days, all musicians fight for market share and fan base in their respective genres; I wonder how it was like back then.
    When B moved to Vienna this was the great time of the piano improvising 'duels' between vituosos. Each performer would have his band of followers, and the salons of the aristocracy would be the duelling grounds. B's most famous duel was with Daniel Steibelt in 1800 in the home of Count Fries, whom B 'destroyed' and who swore never to play in B's presence again.

Rod

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

My creaky memory hints to me that I may have read about multiple occasions when B and Hummel played at the same gathering, and that their music and styles were so different that no 'winner' could be determined. I also seem to recall that the two maintained a mutually respectful relationship.

Said creaky memory would be greatful for any needed correction (before I spout these 'facts' during some important gathering of cogniscenti).
      AKA "The Hill Troll"

Comment

Working...
      X