Many things-please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many things-please read

ok, do we know where Karl actually tried to commit suicide?

Do we know anything about Beethoven's real young life? I mean like teeanger years?

Thanks

Christophe

On July 30th 1826 having pawned his watch the previous day to buy two pistols, Karl picked a favourite place of Beethoven's - the Rauhenstein ruins in the Helenthal near Baden.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven appears to have been a serious individual when younger; with his disintegrating family life, he was forced to take up a job to help support his mom at age 15 or so.
      The stories about B.'s father making him practice piano at all hours when he was, like, five may be partially wrong. It's true Johann wanted Ludwig to be a prodigy like Mozart, and that he pressed for piano practice, but I wonder if Ludwig really resented it. I don't remember him talking bitterly (or, more accurately, at all) about his father when he was older. And Maynard Solomon says that the presupposed idea that Johann was a drunk may have been exaggerated, so the abuse he supposedly gave his son may have been equally exaggerated.

Comment

I wouldn't say that Beethoven was forced to take a job - At 13 he was appointed Neefe's assistant in the electoral chapel (deputy organist), but at first with no salary - It wasn't until the following year that Beethoven received a salary of 100 Florins (his father Johann was still in pay, receiving 200 Florins).

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

There is a book by B's friend Wegeler he writes about the youthfull Beethoven in Bonn. W compiled he reminicences with those of Ries. The book is called 'Biographische Notizen uber LvB' but has been translated into English. If you can't find this, check Thayer/Forbes.

Rod

Rod

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X