Those recommended CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those recommended CDs

Some of those recommendations are, er, well, they wouldn't be mine. Anyone interested in listing their favorites?
    AKA "The Hill Troll"

It's not possible to please everyone Bob ! - I am quite willing to include others suggestions though. My aim was to offer 3 types of recording where possible - Historical (generally accepted great interpretations)- Modern instruments and Authentic versions as well - I'd be interested to know which recommendations you particularly disapprove of.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ha. I can see that as an advertising ploy: "+++Disapproved of by Bob Lombard+++". I much prefer to praise excellent performances. That concept would cause me, for instance, not to mention the symphony set by Harnancourt and the COE. Too cautious, too bland to be on a 'recommended' list; too competent to be on a 'disapproved' list.

I'm not experienced with this moderated discussion environment. I suspect that I have stepped on a toe here. Sorry.
      AKA "The Hill Troll"

Comment

No need to apologise ! - This is a discussion forum, and everyone is entitled to their view - Personally I don't regard the Harnoncourt set as bland at all. I'd still be interested to know your preference for a complete symphony set. Don't worry - I won't list it as "+++approved by Bob Lombard+++" !

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

My current preferred set is that by Gielen and the SW German Radio Orchestra. There is a recently issued set by Barenboim that I'd like to hear. Sets, of course, have to be considered somewhat differently from 'singles'.

Given your encouragement (it doesn't take much) I hope to offer a list of what I consider to be excellent recorded performances in all of the instrumental categories your list includes. It'll take about a month to compile.

Do you consider that to be a threat or a promise?
          AKA "The Hill Troll"

Comment

It's hard to recommend a complete cycle of the symphonies, I think - most conductors tend to be better at some than others (usually the "evens" or the "odds," but not always so consistently!). Karajan in 1962, for example, does (IMO of course) a first-class "Eroica" and Ninth, but a dreadful Fourth (cold), Seventh (slurry and superficial), and Eighth (heavy). Boehm, on the other hand, does a gorgeous 1, 2, 4, and 6 in his Vienna cycle, but to my ears the "Eroica" and Seventh lack power and thrust.

I suppose if one *had* to have a cycle, the safest bet would be Szell/Cleveland (but I wonder how Sony's sound comes up?!). As for modern cycles, the Herbert Kegel performances once available on Capriccio are solid and free from annoying eccentricities, but occasionally they want a little more individual personality. What I've heard of Walter Weller's cycle with the City of Birmingham orchestra - originally Chandos, then Musical Heritage - suggests that it may well be the choice among recordings recent enough to be digital.

Steve

Comment

Yeah, Szell/Cleveland has always been my cycle of choice.

------------------
              "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Comment

The Szell/Cleveland ranks high. My problem with it is that Szell is 'all business' just about all the time. There are some places - in the 7th and 8th notably - that are supposed to be fun.
                AKA "The Hill Troll"

Comment

Working...
                X