Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven's 5th the finest 'romantic' concerto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's 5th the finest 'romantic' concerto?

While Beethoven's fifth piano concerto is composed in the classical style, it is very romantic in nature, at least to me. I was curious if anyone thinks that it is the best example of 'romantic' concerto in the repertoire. Other than the Schumann concerto and the two Chopins and the Liszts, there isn't very much out there that I'm aware of to choose from. As far as I'm concerned, the Beethoven is the finest example, followed very closely by the Schumann. Any thoughts?...

When it comes to your Romantic Concerto list Serge, there are several major ones you left out - Brahms 1&2, Tchaikovsky 1-3, Grieg,Mendelssohn 1&2, Rachmaninov 1-5 and I could go on !! but this is really about the Beethoven 5th. To me the 'Emperor' Concerto marks the culmination of Beethoven's 'Heroic' style - it is typical of his middle period works and it is Classical !! Examples of so-called 'romantic' sounding music can be found in Mozart (slow movement of piano concerto no.21),Bach and earlier - but they are not Romantic with a capital R - The Romantics learnt more from Beethoven's first period works than his later ones (which were misunderstood well into the 20th century) - the Romantic movement as a whole didnot really come through Beethoven, but rather from Weber, Hummel, Schubert and Bach. Beethoven actually becomes more classical and even Baroque in his later works, and this development was not really picked up until the 20th century when the Romantic movement was at an end.
    Having said all that - I do agree that the 5th is probably the finest Piano Concerto written and what really matters is as you say - how it feels for you and what it means to you rather than unhelpful labels such as 'Romantic' or 'Classical'.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-19-2000).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
      While Beethoven's fifth piano concerto is composed in the classical style, it is very romantic in nature, at least to me. I was curious if anyone thinks that it is the best example of 'romantic' concerto in the repertoire. Other than the Schumann concerto and the two Chopins and the Liszts, there isn't very much out there that I'm aware of to choose from. As far as I'm concerned, the Beethoven is the finest example, followed very closely by the Schumann. Any thoughts?...
      I don't believe Beethoven wrote any music in the Romantic mentality, B was always a man of the Enlightenment era and this is apparent in any work of his you could pick at random. Hence I always group B with the earlier composers that influenced him rather than those that came after, who wrote music from a much different standpoint psychologically.

The 5th concerto I'm sure served as a model for many a subsequent third rate effort and is often played today in a very Romantic style, however if you were fortunate enought to hear the piece played on a piano from circa 1810/15 with an appropriately equipped orchestra playing in the style of the time, well, you might have a different impression of the piece!

If you have heard some of Weber's music from this time, then you will find the true Romantic sound in embryo. But don't go looking for it in Beethoven's output. B's 'subjective' dramatic style was not too different from that of Handel 100 years earlier, but who calls Handel a Romantic?

Rod

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks for your responses; this is a LOT of food for thought, esp. when I look back on the Weber and start seeing those influences you mention...
        I also appreciate those other pieces that I'd completely overlooked; esp. the Tchaikovsky (!), which admittedly gives the B. a run for its money. I always thought Mendelssohn was considered a "Classicist", tho... oh well, like you said, such terms are restrictive and essentially unhelpful. This is good to know.

Comment

Mendelssohn is usually classed as an early Romantic - definitely not Classical - He was however considered to be a very conservative and traditional composer. I'm not sure about the Tchaikovsy giving the 'Emperor' a run for its money. If I had to list the really great piano concertos in order, I'd place Beethoven's 5th and 4th at the top, closely followed by the Mozart C minor ,then another half-dozen or so by Mozart.Next would come Beethoven no.3.Then I'd place Brahms 1&2 followed by the Schumann.Then would come the Tchaikovsy and possibly Liszt's 'Totentanz' which is a concerto in all but name and certainly much finer than his other 2 efforts.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-23-2000).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
            Thanks for your responses; this is a LOT of food for thought, esp. when I look back on the Weber and start seeing those influences you mention...
            I also appreciate those other pieces that I'd completely overlooked; esp. the Tchaikovsky (!), which admittedly gives the B. a run for its money. I always thought Mendelssohn was considered a "Classicist", tho... oh well, like you said, such terms are restrictive and essentially unhelpful. This is good to know.
            Personally, I don't think Tchaikovsky is even remotely in Beethovens league!

Also personally, after Beethovens concertos, I consider only Handel's (op3,4,6,7) are up to this standard of good strucural balance, intelligence and invention, yet still being accessible. But these are not quite the same genre of music, I could accept. I rate B's 3rd above all of Mozart's efforts.

Rod

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I rate B's 3rd above all of Mozart's efforts.

Rod

I doubt that Beethoven would have agreed with you.Beethoven was known to have admired The Mozart C minor concerto - remarking to Cramer 'We shall never be able to do anything like that'

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Personally, I don't think Tchaikovsky is even remotely in Beethovens league!

Rod

Perhpas not, but you have to admit that the 1ts piano concerto (not to mention the violin concerto) is excellent. Well...I guess you don't have to admit it (and you never will), but they ARE good!

------------------
                "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  I doubt that Beethoven would have agreed with you.Beethoven was known to have admired The Mozart C minor concerto - remarking to Cramer 'We shall never be able to do anything like that'

This was a (typically) humble remark from Beethoven towards M, but correct in that he produced nothing like it, but, instead, produced things much better, as you yourself admit: 'I'd place Beethoven's 5th and 4th at the top'!!. I would include the 3rd also.

Rod

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    Perhpas not, but you have to admit that the 1ts piano concerto (not to mention the violin concerto) is excellent. Well...I guess you don't have to admit it (and you never will), but they ARE good!

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier remark!

Rod

------------------

Comment

This was a (typically) humble remark from Beethoven towards M, but correct in that he produced nothing like it, but, instead, produced things much better, as you yourself admit: 'I'd place Beethoven's 5th and 4th at the top'!!. I would include the 3rd also.

Rod

Well I'm not so sure about Beethoven being typically humble !
                      I do not regard Mozart's Piano Concertos (especially the really great ones) as being in any way inferior to Beethoven's - The 3rd is a fine work, but not as great as 4 and 5. I must admit that I find your antipathy towards Mozart puzzling - that you prefer Beethoven is one thing (and he certainly has the edge as far as I'm concerned) but not to credit Mozart's achievement is rather strange.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well I'm not so sure about Beethoven being typically humble !
                        I do not regard Mozart's Piano Concertos (especially the really great ones) as being in any way inferior to Beethoven's - The 3rd is a fine work, but not as great as 4 and 5. I must admit that I find your antipathy towards Mozart puzzling - that you prefer Beethoven is one thing (and he certainly has the edge as far as I'm concerned) but not to credit Mozart's achievement is rather strange.

B was always humble with regard to Mozart, even after he recognised Handel's superiority. With respect, the remark I quoted from you somewhat contradicts your current statement regarding the respective quality of the two composers efforts. I do not discredit M's achievements, but a lot of his concertos are rather rambling efforts from what I've heard.

------------------

Comment

I don't think there is any contradiction in my remarks - Firstly I said I would place B's 5th & 4th (Some people prefer the 4th to the 5th) at the top CLOSELY followed by a half dozen or so of Mozart's concertos - that is obviously a personal choice. Perhaps I should go further and say that K.491 and K.503 rank alongside with Op.73 and Op.58 as the greatest piano concertos ever written.
                          Beethoven was right in his estimation of Mozart, and that he came later to regard Handel as greater in no way diminishes Mozart.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't think there is any contradiction in my remarks - Firstly I said I would place B's 5th & 4th (Some people prefer the 4th to the 5th) at the top CLOSELY followed by a half dozen or so of Mozart's concertos - that is obviously a personal choice. Perhaps I should go further and say that K.491 and K.503 rank alongside with Op.73 and Op.58 as the greatest piano concertos ever written.
                            Beethoven was right in his estimation of Mozart, and that he came later to regard Handel as greater in no way diminishes Mozart.

OK, I think I've pushed this semantics argument far enough. You rate M on a par with B re concertos. If I thought you were talking about fortepianos I would have more sympathy with your position (as you know my position re M and Steinways). But I regard B as simply a more advanced pianist stylistically. Whereas pianists after B offer no advance over B's output, in fact the contrary is the case.

With Handel I suppose the debate would be re his and Bach's concerti grossi. Of which I would say the latter's are on occasion a little too fussy for my taste (I prefer H's more simple style). But that's another issue.

Rod

------------------

Comment

You rate M on a par with B re concertos. If I thought you were talking about fortepianos I would have more sympathy with your position (as you know my position re M and Steinways). But I regard B as simply a more advanced pianist stylistically. Whereas pianists after B offer no advance over B's output, in fact the contrary is the case.

Rod

I'm not talking about pianofortes or fortepianos or modern v's authentic here at all - simply the notes written down on the manuscript ! So hopefully you do have more sympathy with my view - I actually have more with yours re. the fortepiano argument having been listening to the Mozart Concertos with your comments in mind .I don't agree that pianisitically there is no advance after Beethoven or as you say the opposite.
                              Yes Beethoven's piano music is more technically advanced than Mozart's, but so is Liszt's more than Beethoven, and Bartok more than Liszt - it doesn't make it better though. Your argument for Fortepianos is also my defence, because the stylistic advances you refer to in Beethoven are in direct relation to the advances in the instrument itself - Mozart cannot be blamed for not writing for an instrument that did not exist !

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X