X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendation request

Hello all!
    I need a little favor now:
    I got used to take a registry on an Excel sheet with the works of Beethoven I have and with those I don't or I'm wanting to buy. Now, of many of the missing works, I ignore them totally and I don't have anybody to ask for recommendations. Then: could the ones of you disposed to give the sheet a look (in order to mark which of the missing works are worthwhile to acquire) send me your emails?

Many thanks

Ps:
    What are the lyrics of the Choral Fantasy, Op. 80 are about?
    Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
    You'll thank me later...

Originally posted by Luis:
    Hello all!
    I got used to take a registry on an Excel sheet with the works of Beethoven I have and with those I don't or I'm wanting to buy. Now, of many of the missing works, I ignore them totally and I don't have anybody to ask for recommendations. Then: could the ones of you disposed to give the sheet a look (in order to mark which of the missing works are worthwhile to acquire) send me your emails?

Many thanks

Ps:
    I presume op80 is one of Beethoven's humble efforts you think is worthy to be on your 'approved list'?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I presume op80 is one of Beethoven's humble efforts you think is worthy to be on your 'approved list'?

This sarcasm. Isn’t it?

If it is really that, I suppose it’s all due to a misunderstanding. You’ll see, Rod, my English is far from being fluid and “natural” so certain aspects of the "form" or "intonation" of my language (what John Austin denominates illocutionary content) are for me rather difficult to manage. Here, the best example might be the sentence that would have generated the misunderstanding: when I wrote: "which of the missing works are worthwhile to acquire" I didn't want to mean that, to my to judgment, Beethoven has a couple of good works and the rest is pure crap. In fact, no other composer made me feel what Beethoven did, up to the point of having cried many times by simply listening his music. What I was trying to point was that, supposing that each one of you should have certain judgment or appreciation on the works of Beethoven, which makes you determine for example which CDs would you take on your vacations, or which to give as a present to a person (like me!) familiarized with the most known of Beethoven’s works but not with many others, then, based on that, you would be able to recommend me some of them.
      Since I don't have enough money to buy on a set the complete edition of B’s works, I try to go buying beginning with those works of which better references I have. Is that supposing that many of the works of Beethoven are unworthy of my hearings or my time? Not at all!:
      1) I don’t even have enough knowledge to state such a thing and
      2) still if I had it and I expressed this way, I don't understand which the problem would be so that somebody could feel offended.
      What I’m wanting from you is, if you have the time and good will, to take a look on my list and mark with some color the works that if you were in my place, you would buy.

If it is not sarcasm:
      I told you! My English is that terrible that I couldn’t understand your response!

…May be I should start my messages like I used to with “my English is terrible, sorry”…

Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
      You'll thank me later...

Comment

This sarcasm. Isn’t it?

Yes, I was being 100% sarcastic, based on your words as I percieved them. However I accept that English speakers are at an advantage in this place. I now understand your situation.

No-one would expect you to buy his complete works in one go. Therefore, since I believe B never wrote a single 'bum' note, start with the genre of music that appeals to you most (say symphonies or quartets for example) then move on to the other genres as you can afford to buy them. If you are not too worried about interpretation, buy the cheapest options available. These are often as good (or no worse!) than the most expensive alternatives.

Rod

------------------

Comment

Hello all!

The text is supposed to be by Christoph Kuffner, though some scholars now doubt this and think much of it may have been written by Beethoven himself - here are the words :

Enticingly fair and lonely
          sound the harmonies of our life,
          and from a sense of beauty arise
          flowers that bloom for ever.
          Peace and joy flow hand in hand
          like the changing play of the waves;
          what was crowded together in chaos and
          hostility
          now shapes itself into exalted feeling.
          When music's enchantment reigns
          and poetry's consecration speaks,
          wondrous things take shape;
          night and storm change to light.
          Outer peace, inner bliss
          are the rulers of the happy man.
          But the spring sun of the arts
          causes light to flow from both.
          Great things that have penetrated the heart
          blossom anew and beautifully on high,
          and the spirit that has soared up
          is always echoed by a chorus of spirits.
          Take them, then, you noble souls,
          gladly, these gifts of noble art.
          When love and strength are wedded together
          mankind is rewarded with divine grace.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            The text is supposed to be by Christoph Kuffner, though some scholars now doubt this and think much of it may have been written by Beethoven himself - here are the words :

On what grounds to they believe B wrote the words? This would be a rare example of Beethoven the poet! I would tend to doubt this position unless there was some good evidence.

Rod

------------------

Comment

I agree with you - as to why scholars now doubt that Kuffner wrote the words and think it possible that B did (or at least in part), I really don't know.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X