Consecration of the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consecration of the House

I am researching this piece, and would appreciate any information supplied. Of particular interest: why composed, when and where performed, worth in the Beethoven cannon, and downloads available of a recording or score.

Many thanks.

On 3rd Oct 1822 , the newly built Joseph-stadt theatre was to be opened with a staging of Kotzebue's Ruin of Athens which had been drastically adapted by Carl Meisl with many alterations. The theatre director Hensler asked Beethoven to supply the music. Beethoven composed a chorus with soprano and solo violin, a ballet and the new overture.The overture must have been written very quickly as Beethoven had not started on it as late as September. Schindler claims that Beethoven sketched the themes whilst walking in the Helenenthal near Baden with his nephew and that Beethoven had planned to treat one motiff in a free style and another in a stricter Handelian style. The overture in considered to be the finest of the later overtures, and indeed it is a very exhilarating and enjoyable piece.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Hermes333:
      I am researching this piece, and would appreciate any information supplied. Of particular interest: why composed, when and where performed, worth in the Beethoven cannon, and downloads available of a recording or score.

Many thanks.
      Don't bother with downloadable recordings, they will serve you no usefull purpose with this type of music. Any music worth listening to is worth paying for. Unfortunately there are not too many good renditions of 'Consecration..' as far as I am aware, but there is one, which I mention in the discution regarding the 'Namensfeier' overture - that by the Hanover Band on Nimbus records. This is really first rate, and the period instruments give an appropriately Handelian exhilarance to it.

For some reason this piece is rarely played in concert. Orchestras seem happy to give audiences endlessy lame renditions on 'Egmont' and nothing more.

Rod

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Hermes333:

Many thanks.
        Don't bother with downloadable recordings, they will serve you no usefull purpose with this type of music. Any music worth listening to is worth paying for. Unfortunately there are not too many good renditions of 'Consecration..' as far as I am aware, but there is one, which I mention in the discution regarding the 'Namensfeier' overture - that by the Hanover Band on Nimbus records. This is really first rate, and the period instruments give an appropriately Handelian exhilarance to it.

For some reason this piece is rarely played in concert. Orchestras seem happy to give audiences endlessy lame renditions on 'Egmont' and nothing more.

Rod

------------------

Comment

This overture is a miracle in fugal writing, and very heavy in sound-- pure Beethoven. If you want a good recording of it, I've always enjoyed the version by the Berliner under Abbado released by DG in '96 (447 748-2). The disc is comprised of little-recorded incidental music, all by Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
            This overture is a miracle in fugal writing, and very heavy in sound-- pure Beethoven. If you want a good recording of it, I've always enjoyed the version by the Berliner under Abbado released by DG in '96 (447 748-2). The disc is comprised of little-recorded incidental music, all by Beethoven.
            I could be wrong, but doesn't everything played by the Berliner sound 'heavy'?!

Are the violins divided left and right, stereo fashion, in your recording, for much of the interesting 'interplay' between the 1st and 2nd violins is only heard when the orch is sectioned in such a manner. For me all B's orchestral music should be played with the violins divided, as one often becomes aware of these stereo effects that were obviously intended by the composer but are lost with the post war fashion of having the violins side by side to the left, too one sided for me!

Rod

------------------

Comment

Yeah, but it's a good kind of heavy!!
              As for the violin parts, the best I can tell is that the 1sts and the 2nds are side-by-side. There is definite string interplay split in the stereo mastering, violins on the left, violas and down on the right. In certain passages, it seems possible that the two violin parts are indeed split-- this could just be the violins and violas that are alrady split, however (I'm still tripped up by 2nd violins and violas sometimes).
              If you're picking this CD up, perhaps you can clarify for me.

Comment

Yeah, but it's a good kind of heavy!!
                As for the violin parts, the best I can tell is that the 1sts and the 2nds are side-by-side. There is definite string interplay split in the stereo mastering, violins on the left, violas and down on the right. In certain passages, it seems possible that the two violin parts are indeed split-- this could just be the violins and violas that are alrady split, however (I'm still tripped up by 2nd violins and violas sometimes).
                If you're picking this CD up, perhaps you can clarify for me.
                Over the years I have developed a preference for smaller orchestral forces where possible, because of the clarity gained at the expence of 'heaviness'. Played with brio and dynamism this makes up for the lack of numbers.

I doubt if I will have tho opportunity to hear your CD, I am more than happy with my version by the Baroque instrument Hanover Band (which is small in mumbers but makes one hell of a noise!), which is especially appropriate for B's tribute to Handel that 'Consecration' is.

Rod

------------------

Comment

I would love to hear that version. Could you tell the disc number or label so I may try to find it? I'd have to find it in Canada or send for it from Britain.

Comment

I would love to hear that version. Could you tell the disc number or label so I may try to find it? I'd have to find it in Canada or send for it from Britain.
                    These days it can be found in a boxed set by Nimbus Records which includes the 9 Symphonies, the Missa Solemnis and other overtures all by the Hanover band. The set is very cheap indeed over here in England and readily available. I'm sure you could order it over the internet if you can't find it locally.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X