The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
gprengel

The saddest music

Yesterday I saw the film "Band of Brothers" by Spielberg at German TV with the scene of the liberatation of the captives from the Nazi concentration camp in Dachau which was heartbreaking. But it was even more moving when in this scene among ruins 4 artists sat together performing the 5th movement from Beethoven's c#-minor quartett. I always thought this Adagio to be one of the saddest pieces of music ever written, and found it most appropriate that also Spielberg choose this.

What pieces of utmost human grief do you think of?

Gerd
gprengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Peter
Administrator

I think Gorecki's 3rd symphony is one of the most hauntingly miserable pieces I know!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
susanwen

The rap 'n crap that teenagers listen to nowadays. It grieves that they listen to this - how sad for the human race.

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
susanwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Casey

The slow movement of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. The first movement of Schubert's D960 Sonata is also quite sad (come to think of it, a lot of his late music is quite sad, but he had reason for that).
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #5
HaydnFan

When I think of music full of grief, I immediately think of Shostakovich...the slow movement from his Symphony No. 5, his String Quartet No. 8 in C minor are two examples.

I think there is no other composer who can express the same "raw tragedy". Beethoven and Schubert come close but I think, are more subtle about it. Shostakovich doesn't hold anything back.
HaydnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #6
HaydnFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanwen View Post
The rap 'n crap that teenagers listen to nowadays. It grieves that they listen to this - how sad for the human race.

Ha, I agree with you completely! I am young-ish, myself so it irritates me that my friends listen to this kind of crap.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
Chaszz

The Crucifixus from Bach's B Minor Mass.

Last edited by Chaszz; 02-13-2007 at 04:50 AM. Reason: ,,
Chaszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #8
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnFan View Post
When I think of music full of grief, I immediately think of Shostakovich...the slow movement from his Symphony No. 5, his String Quartet No. 8 in C minor are two examples.

I think there is no other composer who can express the same "raw tragedy". Beethoven and Schubert come close but I think, are more subtle about it. Shostakovich doesn't hold anything back.
How about Tchaikovsky's 6th, last movement? - that is one of the most despairing pieces I can think of.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
Yesterday I saw the film "Band of Brothers" by Spielberg at German TV with the scene of the liberatation of the captives from the Nazi concentration camp in Dachau which was heartbreaking. But it was even more moving when in this scene among ruins 4 artists sat together performing the 5th movement from Beethoven's c#-minor quartett. I always thought this Adagio to be one of the saddest pieces of music ever written, and found it most appropriate that also Spielberg choose this.

Gerd
I saw the title of this thread and before I opened it, I decided my choice would be the 5th movement of the C sharp minor quartet - and, lo and behold, you were there before me! It was very effective in that scene in "Band of Brothers" especially when the composer's name was mentioned.
One soldier, listening to the players, mutters something about Mozart but is corrected, quite emphatically, by another who says: "That's Beethoven".
I think this tiny movement is the saddest utterance in all music but don't forget that it is really an introduction to the final defiant movement of that wonderful quartet.

Michael

(Actually, now I think of it, it's the 6th movement - the quartet is alway described as being in seven movements - although two of them are really short introductions.)

Last edited by Michael; 02-13-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
susanwen

The first chord of the second movement of B's Seventh. The depths of despair.

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
heidi

I always thought the 2nd movement of the Eroica sounds quite sad, but Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' ranks first on my list.
heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
DavidO

A number of Vaughan Williams works really work me over in the sadness & poignancy department:

1. The Tallis Fantasia, of course
2. The opening themes of the 3rd Symphony
3. Dives & Lazarus

Also some of Copland's works--particularly those later works that feature near-modal writing with perfect 4ths & hymnal styles:

1. Our Town themes
2. Quiet City
3. Nocturne from Rodeo

Another American, Barber, set a wistful prose poem by James Agee to poignant music in a piece called "Knoxville: Summer of 1915."

Ravel's Mere L'Oye: the 3rd section (Tom Thumb) as well as those utterly sublime measures (40 through 43) in Le Jardin Feerique that resolve to the tonic. Ravel's Sonatine is also grief-stricken, in a wistful way.

And certainly there's an abundance of enormously moving grievous music in The Big Kahuna: for example, the soaring vocal line in Opferlied; the Arcadia-like hymn theme of Op. 109 piano sonata; & the Adagio from the 2nd Razumovsky. The tears well up, indeed!
DavidO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
Tony John Hearne

Has to be the Tchaikovsky 6 last movement. I have been listening to this music for over 35 years now and it never fails to stop me in my tracks.. Melancholia to perfection but not self indulgent for a second By the way did anyone see the Charles Hazlewood documentary about Piotr Ilyich on BBC2 a couple of weeks ago? (two consecutive Fridays) Just like his documentaries on Beethoven and Mozart, I must admit I found this to be TV at its finest. The orchestra of young musicians in St Petersburg was quite superlative and it was good to see Mr Hazlewood conducting amongst his invariably interesting commentaries, and the consummate acting of the lead characters)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
gprengel

There have been a good number of mentioned works of instrumental music
which are truly great examples human grief expressed in music (Gorecki, Tschaikowskie's 6th, Beethoven's Adagios from op 59,2 , op 106, 110, 131, Schubert's sonata in A,...). But what about songs and arias?

Here the saddest song I know is the last song from Schubert's Wintereise, "Der Leierman". I remember crying when I heard it the first time at a young age of 16! How this song is build on this empy quint expressing all the empiness of this poor man's life...

Another example is Bruce Springsteen's accuostic guitar song "Youngstown" from 1995, describing the history of of a town which always was connected with building weapons - awesome!

Gerd
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Joy

Cool

The Tchaikovsky that a couple of you have mentioned already is a pretty good bet with me also. Not to mention that days after he himself conducted this piece at it's premiere, he was dead. Tchaikovsky had this to say about the work. "Without exaggeration, I have put my whole soul into this work."
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #16
susanwen

Schubert's "Erkonnig" (the elf king) is very sad.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #17
HaydnFan

"Erlkonig" is actually not the 'Elfking" but the 'Alderking'...like a forest-spirit. 'Elfking" would be 'Elfenkonig'...but I agree with you about the sadness of the piece...gets me every time!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #18
Rutradelusasa

Send a message via ICQ to Rutradelusasa
Quote:
"Erlkonig" is actually not the 'Elfking" but the 'Alderking'...like a forest-spirit. 'Elfking" would be 'Elfenkonig'...but I agree with you about the sadness of the piece...gets me every time!
This seems to indicate it is indeed "Elf King"...

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."
Rutradelusasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
Joy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
Very interesting Rut! Especially the part about Beethoven attempting to set it to music but abandoned the effort. Anyone know why?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
HaydnFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutradelusasa View Post
Firstly, you cannot trust anything that is written on Wikipedia as certain. Secondly, I have read elsewhere (including on Wikipedia) that the translation is "alderking"...I have read this in textbooks as well.

From my music textbook: "'Erlkonig' is King of the Alders, or birches--in effect, a forest troll."..."Erle" in German means Alder. As I said, "Elfen" means elf...I think "Elfking" is an English mistranslation.

So you see how the idea of a forest troll can be mistranslated into an "elf", especially when the German word "Erl" sounds more like "Elf" in English than it does "Alder". Unless someone can substantially prove to me otherwise, it is "Alderking" and not "Elfking"
Old 02-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #21
Rutradelusasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Very interesting Rut! Especially the part about Beethoven attempting to set it to music but abandoned the effort. Anyone know why?
If I knew I forgot , but you can take a look at what B. did on the "unheard" site, they have the sketch and a completion. It's is quite interesting, because at some points B.'s and S.'s do look alike.

I don't know how many others also tried their hand at the poem, but Loewe did set it to music and you can find it in a CD by Prégardien called "Following Goethe".

Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 AM   #22
Rutradelusasa

Quote:
Firstly, you cannot trust anything that is written on Wikipedia as certain. Secondly, I have read elsewhere (including on Wikipedia) that the translation is "alderking"...I have read this in textbooks as well.

From my music textbook: "'Erlkonig' is King of the Alders, or birches--in effect, a forest troll."..."Erle" in German means Alder. As I said, "Elfen" means elf...I think "Elfking" is an English mistranslation.

So you see how the idea of a forest troll can be mistranslated into an "elf", especially when the German word "Erl" sounds more like "Elf" in English than it does "Alder". Unless someone can substantially prove to me otherwise, it is "Alderking" and not "Elfking"
The problem with translating it to English is that it forgets that "Erlkönig" is already a translation from Danish.
Anyway, these sites make and interesting point on the origin of the title and who would be the "Erlkönig". Take a look, it's neither what we are saying:
http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth09.htm
http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/inhalt/co/12692/1.html

Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #23
susanwen

There's also a version of the poem set to the music of the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, sung by Sarah Brightman.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #24
HaydnFan

I will agree with the final movement of Tchaikovsky's 6th but say that it is grief covered with syrup and other such goo. (like most of Tchaikovsky's music)

I still maintain that Shostakovich (perhaps by nature, Modernist music) is grief stripped bare and fully exposed -- there is nothing extra here.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #25
gprengel

I still maintain that Shostakovich (perhaps by nature, Modernist music) is grief stripped bare and fully exposed -- there is nothing extra here

From Shostakovich so far I only was impressed by his 7th symphony and the beautiful Gatfly music. What can you recommend to me?

Gerd
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #26
Peter
Administrator

Shostakovich's finest symphony is the 10th - it has a wonderfully exhilarating scherzo. I also like the 5th and the piano concertos. The preludes and the preludes and fugues for piano also enjoyable.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #27
Joy

Cool

Recently I attended a concert where the Phoenix Symphony performed Shostakovich Violin Concerto in A minor. It was very emotional and sounded as if it wore the weight of the world on its shoulders. A good thing that after the Shostakovich they performed Beethoven's 7th Symphony to lighten the mood! You felt a recuperation effect after the anguish of the Shostakovich.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #28
HaydnFan

I would recommend his 5th Symphony, his 9th (both considered "lighter"), his cello concerti, any of his string quartets (but No. 8 in c minor tends to be the most popular).

To be honest, I haven't heard much more than this because the music is hard to get a hold of when one does not have any money to purchase CDs, haha.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #29
JayP

How 'bout the piano concerto by Addinsell. Very sad.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #30
gprengel

As a modern example of saddest music I mentioned Bruce Springsteen's Youngstown about the history of a town used for making weapons for war

In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smddc...elated&search=

you find a live accoustic version and here a version with the E-street Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rQ3_kSXoU

I am curious what you think of it.

As for me I feel deeply moved about the sadnes in both music and lyrics...
There is no contemporary artist I love as much as Bruce Springsteen (followed by Neil Young and Mark Knopfler)

Gerd
Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #31
Stringreen

There are so many sad tunes, but you have to listen to Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erda"... the last movement "Das Abshied" See if you can keep those tears back....
Stringreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #32
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringreen View Post
There are so many sad tunes, but you have to listen to Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erda"... the last movement "Das Abshied" See if you can keep those tears back....
Yes - a great deal of Mahler is sad such as the Kindertotenlieder. I don't think Beethoven even in his darkest moments hints at the despair in Mahler.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #33
David1770

Being a Beethoven discussion board its only right that he should get the first suggestions! The second movement of the fourth piano concerto, especially played by Wilhelm Backhaus and the Vienna Philharmonic or the slow movement of op2no2 that is dark! I think the most depressing, without doubt is Beethovens cantata on the death of emperor Joseph II. Its atmospheric and terrifying written when Ludwig was only seventeen!

For real despair I have to opt for Mozarts requiem under the command of Sir Colin davis, I cant listen to it, its heartbreaking.Schuberts slow movement from his Wanderer Fantasy in the hands of Sviatoslav Richter. Gluck Orpheus and Euridice dance of the blessed spirits, Albinonis most famous Oboe concerto in D or Handels Largo from Xerxeus, they crack me up everytime!

aside what a depressing topic of discussion!

Last edited by David1770; 04-05-2007 at 09:14 PM.
David1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #34
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1770 View Post
Being a Beethoven discussion board its only right that he should get the first suggestions! The second movement of the fourth piano concerto, especially played by Wilhelm Backhaus and the Vienna Philharmonic or the slow movement of op2no2 that is dark! I think the most depressing, without doubt is Beethovens cantata on the death of emperor Joseph II. Its atmospheric and terrifying written when Ludwig was only seventeen!
Beethoven's gloomiest pieces I think are the slow movement from Op.10/3 and that of the Ghost trio. Wonderfully sombre!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
Megan

Beautiful!

Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZLxxR23K4&feature=kp
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #36
Peter
Administrator

Yes I love that piece - also hauntingly sad is the well known Spiegel im spiegel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y9RgbGLLfE
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #37
Michael

The second movement of the first Razumovsky quartet would be high on my list of "sad" music. The manuscript bears the curious inscription: "A weeping willow or acacia tree on my brother's grave".

No-one has been able to explain this phrase; Beethoven's two brothers were alive at the time of the composition of the middle quartets. It has even been suggested that it was a reference to the child that first bore the name "Ludwig" - that is "Ludwig Maria" who was born and died a year before Beethoven.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #38
Albert Gans

Send a message via Skype™ to Albert Gans
I am a little surprised no-one so far has mentioned the Eroica, 2nd movement. For me, with Mahler mentioned earlier, 'ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen' is also pretty much at the peak of pain and sorrow.
Albert Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #39
Peter
Administrator

One of the most hauntingly beautiful sad pieces has to be Mahler's - 'I'm lost to the world' (which Albert refers to above)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #40
grace65

I think Beethoven's sonata 7. Op 10 No 3, Largo e Mesto is sad and very moving, also Mozarts piano concerto K488 No 23, which is also quite sad. I believe Mozart composed it soon after his mother passed away. Absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by grace65; 07-24-2014 at 07:24 AM.
grace65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: