Beethoven and Hadyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Hadyn

Does anyone have any information about Hadyn stealing some of Beethoven's early works? I read about it in one book, but can't seem to find enough information. Please let me know, thanks.

I don't know where you read this, but it seems ludicrous to me .There is no evidence as far as I am aware that Haydn stole any of Beethoven's early works - which ones ?? Haydn had no need to do it as he was world famous and a Great composer. Had he done it, believe you me - Beethoven would have been the first to complain. All musicians learn from others - Haydn had learnt from Mozart and vice-versa - indeed Beethoven learnt far more from Haydn's music than he ever really acknowledged.
    Beethoven had been offended by Haydn's suggestion not to publish the 3rd of the Op.1 trios as Haydn considered it was too difficult a work to introduce a new composer to the public with - Beethoven thought Haydn was jealous as he regarded it as a very fine work (which indeed it is) and went ahead and published it anyway - I am sure Haydn was thinking only of Beethoven's best interests and that jealousy was not the motive. Haydn was well known as a man of incredibly generous spirit and modesty.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by boogiegirl:
      Does anyone have any information about Hadyn stealing some of Beethoven's early works? I read about it in one book, but can't seem to find enough information. Please let me know, thanks.
      I'm not surprised you can't find enough info! I have to agree with Peter on this question, I have never read or heard any suggestion that Haydn 'stole' anything from Beethoven. It may be a confusion of the Op1/3 story. Otherwise I'd like to know which book gave you this impression!

Rod

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X