is this true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this true?

I heard that Beethoven once cut off the legs of his piano while living in Vienna so that he could feel the vibrations on the floor. Is this fact or just a legend? Thanks for helping me solve the puzzle. =)

Originally posted by jess281:
    I heard that Beethoven once cut off the legs of his piano while living in Vienna so that he could feel the vibrations on the floor. Is this fact or just a legend? Thanks for helping me solve the puzzle. =)
    I have also heard of B having pianos lying on the floor without legs. However I believe the legs of at least some pianos were detachable in those days - to assist transportation. Considering Beethoven lived virtually like a gypsy moving from one appartment to another throughout his time in Vienna, it would not surprise me if B's instruments were to be found 'legless'. I don't know about the vibration theory however - I doubt it as the functionality of the instrument would be handicapped (foot/knee pedals), and it would be downwright uncomfortable to play after just a few minutes! Certainly during his last years, when is deafness was severe, his Graf and Broadwood pianos were always standing, legs attached.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-08-2001).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I don't know about the vibration theory however - I doubt it as the functionality of the instrument would be handicapped (foot/knee pedals), and it would be downwright uncomfortable to play after just a few minutes! Certainly during his last years, when is deafness was severe, his Graf and Broadwood pianos were always standing, legs attached.

I have heard that some kind of plate was placed on the piano also so as to strenghten the vibrations. The idea of the piano being on the floor seems bizarre to me - no way could anyone play a piano properly in such a position!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by jess281:

I've heard that before in 12th grade about beethoven's piano on the floor with no legs. All I have to say is I don't think he did that.

Comment

Hi Jess, try one to play piano lying down on the floor : even if you can hear... it would be a funny sound I guess !!! We had had also our three pianos lying down on the floor during our last move....
          Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
            Hi Jess, try one to play piano lying down on the floor : even if you can hear... it would be a funny sound I guess !!! We had had also our three pianos lying down on the floor during our last move....
            lying on the floor while playing the piano with legs could be tough....or maybe not.

Comment

I prefer playing the piano with fingers rather than legs.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I prefer playing the piano with fingers rather than legs.

Me too!

Comment

When I was young I had a 1/2 queue, and as the room was very little, I was sleeping on the floor under my piano ! By chance the legs were good vlunched !!! But sometimes when I waked up at night (to go "pipi") I forgot the piano and made music with my head by hurting the instrument !!!

------------------
                  Claudie
                  Claudie

Comment

I've also read that B used to hold a pencil in his mouth between his teeth for better hearing (or something like that). How is this possible? Don't ask me where I've read this I don't know, I've read too many books
                    to know where. Maybe someone has heard of this and can put me straight on this subject.

Joy
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                      When I was young I had a 1/2 queue, and as the room was very little, I was sleeping on the floor under my piano ! By chance the legs were good vlunched !!! But sometimes when I waked up at night (to go "pipi") I forgot the piano and made music with my head by hurting the instrument !!!
                      No wonder you had nowhere to sleep with 3 pianos in the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        I've also read that B used to hold a pencil in his mouth between his teeth for better hearing (or something like that). How is this possible? Don't ask me where I've read this I don't know, I've read too many books
                        to know where. Maybe someone has heard of this and can put me straight on this subject.

Joy
                        I reckon this is one of those "probably" rather than "possibly" true stories, Joy. One can imagine the poor man, so desperate for any musical sensation, gripping a pencil between his teeth, & pushing the other end down onto the piano just to feel the vibrations coming from it. Can't have done his teeth much good, come to think of it..........

------------------
                        PDG (Peter)

Comment

Dear Peter,
                          At the time I slept under the piano, the flat was very very little (15 m2)... Now with 3 pianos I have plenty of place to sleep normally in a bed because I worked well my music, so no problems with the 3 pianos at home (150 m2)... only that we are always playing on the best one !!! And when one of us play... the dog is yet sleeping under the piano!!!!
                          Claudie

Comment

Hello Claudie. Your dog must be as deaf as a certain composer if he's able to sleep under a piano being played!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                              I reckon this is one of those "probably" rather than "possibly" true stories, Joy. One can imagine the poor man, so desperate for any musical sensation, gripping a pencil between his teeth, & pushing the other end down onto the piano just to feel the vibrations coming from it. Can't have done his teeth much good, come to think of it..........
                              Thanks, PDG, for clearing that one up for me.
                              I knew I heard it somewhere.
                              Joy
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X