String Trio Opus 9 No.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Trio Opus 9 No.3

If anyone has any information on the adagio con espressione of Beethovens string trio op.9 no.3 regarding the harmony, phrase structure, melodic and motivic aspects as well as the overall form and key scheme then please email me.

------------------
    There's nowt wrong wiv a bit of jam!!!
    There's nowt wrong wiv a bit of jam!!!

Originally posted by funkyfrog56:
    If anyone has any information on the adagio con espressione of Beethovens string trio op.9 no.3 regarding the harmony, phrase structure, melodic and motivic aspects as well as the overall form and key scheme then please email me.

This movement is unusual for a Beethoven adagio being in 4/4 meter, rather than the usual 2/2. We don't have the original manuscript but from what I have read some musicians assume that B would have intended a 2/2 meter, and that the 4/4 was a subsequent printing error (as has happened with the adagio of B's 5th concerto).

I have a recording of Op9 by L'Archibudelli on Sony Classics which is overall very good, but they attempt the movement in question alla breve and the result is that the movement is turned into a andante-like march, totaly at odds with adagio con espressione, at least the way it is played on this recording. Thus for once I would accept things as they stand on the printed score, resulting in a broader effect (but not too broad!).

Rod

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
    X