Beethoven and Schubert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Schubert

I have read somewhere that "Beethoven acknowledged Schubert's genius"...is this true? If so, what were the circumstances because as far as I know, the two never met.

Also, is it true that Schubert participated in Beethoven's funeral? If so, in what capacity?

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
    I have read somewhere that "Beethoven acknowledged Schubert's genius"...is this true? If so, what were the circumstances because as far as I know, the two never met.

Also, is it true that Schubert participated in Beethoven's funeral? If so, in what capacity?

Dear HaydnFan;

Schubert was a torch bearer at Beethoven's funeral.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Dear HaydnFan;

If I am not mistaken, Beethoven was shown some of Schubert's songs. Beethoven remarked that Schubert had a "devine spark" (or something like that).

Hofrat

Comment

Thank you Hofrat, very informative!

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Dear HaydnFan;

If I am not mistaken, Beethoven was shown some of Schubert's songs. Beethoven remarked that Schubert had a "devine spark" (or something like that).

Hofrat

This story has never been proven. It's very likely to be a nice posthumous fabrication. Schubert dedicated his op. 10 to Beethoven and they probably met each other now and then at Haslinger's shop in the Paternostergassel.

Comment

Schubert declared himself Beethoven’s “worshipper and admirer” but remained always too shy to approach him, even though the older composer held him in high regard: “Truly, there is in Schubert a divine spark…he will cause a stir in the world.” If they met at all, it was at Beethoven’s deathbed?! I've heard this story.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Just as there is no concrete evidence that Beethoven and Mozart ever met, so it is with the case of Beethoven and Schubert. In this latter case I would put this down to Schubert's hero worship and shyness rather than a lack of opportunity. Imagine two such enormous musical minds in the same tavern at the same time, separated only by some drunken laughter, cigar smoke and a few busty wenches.....(and shyness ?).....

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                Imagine two such enormous musical minds in the same tavern at the same time, separated only by some drunken laughter, cigar smoke and a few busty wenches.....(and shyness ?).....
                You conjure up a nice scene

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                  Just as there is no concrete evidence that Beethoven and Mozart ever met, so it is with the case of Beethoven and Schubert. In this latter case I would put this down to Schubert's hero worship and shyness rather than a lack of opportunity. Imagine two such enormous musical minds in the same tavern at the same time, separated only by some drunken laughter, cigar smoke and a few busty wenches.....(and shyness ?).....
                  If Schindler is to be believed we do have a definite meeting for Schubert and Beethoven - 19th March 1827. Beethoven on his deathbed was visited by Schubert in the company of the Huttenbrenner brothers and other friends. This was however denied by Spaun.

Friedrich Rochlitz however claimed they met in the summer of 1822, the year Schubert dedicated his duet variations to Beethoven.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-07-2006).]
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

you'll find lots of answers here :http://raptusassociation.org/schubertpages_e.html

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
                      you'll find lots of answers here :http://raptusassociation.org/schubertpages_e.html
                      There you will find nonsensical information such as:

'Schubert meets Franz Vogl'
                      'Contact with Viennese student circles. With his friend Senn, he is under police surveillance.'
                      'Schuberts illness beings. He returns to live in his parents' home.'
                      ' 1826 His application for the post of Hofkapellmeister is rejected.'
                      'only public concert, [...] ignored by the press.'

Furthermore you will not be informed of an entry in Schubert's diary which is highly critical of Beethoven's music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff:

'Schubert meets Franz Vogl'
                        'Contact with Viennese student circles. With his friend Senn, he is under police surveillance.'
                        'Schuberts illness beings. He returns to live in his parents' home.'
                        ' 1826 His application for the post of Hofkapellmeister is rejected.'
                        'only public concert, [...] ignored by the press.'

Furthermore you will not be informed of an entry in Schubert's diary which is highly critical of Beethoven's music.
                        You refer to these phrases as "nonsensical information". Why?

Comment

I also read somewhere that Schubert once saw Beethoven from afar but was to shy to go up to him and talk.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                            You refer to these phrases as "nonsensical information". Why?

Every single one of them is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetto von Cronstorff:

"1826 Schubert's application for the post of Hofkapellmeister is rejected."

Dear Cetto;

Schubert was not the only composer who applied for the post of the Vienna Hofkapellmeister around 1826. Beethoven also applied, and like Schubert was rejected.

Hofrat

Comment

Working...
                              X